Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I tried to give Jerry some wet food. She took a few bites then was done. Tried to give her some more this morning and she wouldnt touch it. Gave her dry food and she ate... I swear shes the weirdest cat Ive known. Just 6 months ago she was eating rats and mice and now she wont touch good wet food. Shes got possible allergies so she is on Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck Limited Ingredients. The canned version is what I tried to give her and like I said she wont eat it. I even tried warming it up :p Didnt work. Is there anything I can add to it to get her accustomed to wet food?? Any tricks? Dont feed her till she does eat it or I dont know.... Im lost on what I should do because I know its good for her to eat some wet food vs just all dry. She might like the salmon version because I know she likes tuna but Im clueless so... any advice any of you can give me would be awesome! Got a picky cat on my hands!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I would try removing the dry food and only giving her wet. If she knows the dry food is coming, then chances are she'll just wait. That said, you shouldn't withhold food for too long, so if she refuse to eat anything all day, then I would give her a bit (not a full feeding) of dry at day's end, and then try again the next day.

I had a lot of difficulty switching my finicky girls from dry to wet, although there was one trick that worked for me. I put some of their beloved dry food in my coffee grinder and ground it up to make "kibble pepper", which I then sprinkled on top of their wet food. Since they could smell the dry food, it enticed them to eat.

Here is a helpful article that contains other advice and "tricks" to use when you're trying to transition a cat from dry to wet. It's relatively long, but worth reading. Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Finally, I would stay away from fish-flavored wet foods. Cats will often take to fish flavors more easily, but it can be very difficult to then get them to eat non-fish flavors...and an all-fish diet is not good for them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts