Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old indoor/outdoor cat has a teardrop shaped grey sack coming out of her neck. It is about twice as big as a teardrop. It sure looks like a sack of some kind. Behavior seems totally normal, appetite, everything normal. No hair is missing.

Its a little late in the year for something tick related, but it has been unseasonably warm here lately, so that is one concern.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

·
Registered
762 Posts
This sure sounds like a tick to me. You have to be very careful how you remove it, to be sure it is removed completely. Read up on it first unless you are already experienced and skilled in tick removal. Or bring her to the vet today and let the vet do it. Don't delay, cats can get Lymes disease.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Yup...sounds like a tick. I've noticed they've been bad again the last couple weeks...took 3 off my dog (before they latched on) and I hadn't seen any since June.

You can get an inexpensive tool called Ticked Off or Tick Key (and there's a few other brands) at a pet store. They work great.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I bought the tick key but when I got home the sack was gone. If there is a tick still on the neck, its under too much fur for me to see.

What do I do?

Is it too late for a dose of flea and tick medicine? The last dose expired, we figured it was late enough in the year to not do another, but plainly that was wrong.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got another tick off with the tick key, and found the sack from the first tick. Looked like the tick was in it.

Gave her a dose of the flea and tick stuff.

I guess that is all we need to do? The ticks couldnt have been on her more than 24 hours, she gets a lot of attention from us and we would have noticed the sacks.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Yes, the tick would be attached to the sac...that's it's food. It probably completed it's meal and dropped off to go find a mate. Another dose of the flea & tick stuff is appropriate. I assume your cat goes outside...I would recommend doing one more dose after this. We don't feel safe about them until Dec and they start reappearing in March...and it's a lot colder up here than in NJ.

Also...familiarize yourself with the symptoms of Lyme disease. Lyme is transmitted when the tick releases from the host. Since the first one dropped off...if it was carrying Lyme it's possible that your cat has been infected.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The "sac" actually could have been the tick itself, bloated, couldn't it? I know they can get huge when they're engorged with blood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts