Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have recently become the owner of a 9 week old kitten and can't train him to use his litter box. After every meal I lay him gently down into the litter box and all he does is jump out and use the bathroom somewhere else. When I catch him squating down to use the bathroom I quickly pick him up before he uses it and put him in the litter box.

I have received the kitten from a friend whose cat had 4 kittens. The thing that boggels my mind is that the cat was completly litter trained before I picked him up.

I am currently using the same kitty litter that the previous owners used, but I initially tried two different kinds. I am afraid that the kitten is afraid of the litter box, because every time I bring him near it he clings onto me.

This is really hard for me because at night I can't let the kitten into my room, or those of my roomates because he would use the bathroom in there in the middle of the night (and has). I really want to be able to trust him in my rooom or by himself.

PLease any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Andrew

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
If this was my kitten...I would make a trip to the vet first to see if kitty has a bladder infection.

In the meantime, I would retrain the cat. Enclose the cat in the bathroom of possible with his litterbox, food and water, a nice place to sleep. I would even use a large dog crate to do this, if you have access to one. This little guy may be totally overwhelmed in his new surroundings! He may not like the location of the litterbox as well.
He may be the type of guy who needs more than 1 litterbox too.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Definitely keep him in the bathroom or somewhere like it, with his food, litter and water like suggested above. This way he has no choice but to start using his litterbox and he sure wouldn't go spoiling his bed or do it in his food. Let him out supervised and put him back in there to sleep overnite until he gets the drift that the litterbox is the place to go.

Make sure to keep it clean too! Cats hate dirty boxes. Good luck :!:

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only way is to toilet train him again Tanis. New environment means new rules, and this applies even if the cat is a kitten or an aging cat. If you're not sure how to toilet train him, here are instructions:

First, you've gotta scoop up his waste after he's gone and done it somewhere.

Second, lay it on the sand in the litter box and bring him there to smell it.

Third, take his paw, do a digging movement, and pat him saying "Good kitty!"

Repeat that until he gets the idea. I've toilet trained 5 kittens this way, worked for all of 'em so it'd probably work for you too. All the best!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
The answers you got are all good. Another problem is that he is traumatized by his owner taking him away from his mother too soon. He should be with her and his littermates. She would be reinforcing the litter box training by example. Be patient, and help him scratch, and praise him when he uses the litter box, as suggested. Even if a kitten is with Mommy the recommended 12 weeks, it is a shock to adjust to a new home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts