Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swore off television for a whole year and in doing so had to get rid of my tv (just unplugging the cable wouldn't have worked for me). For Christmas Sean got us a DVD player for the computer so I can finally watch movies again. I don't go to the theaters much either so I am way behind on movies.

I was wondering if you all could give me some suggestions on what to rent on DVD right now. I have watched all of the Harry potter and Lord of the rings movies as of late but haven't seen much else.

I am into Indy films, offbeat, documentaries, suspense/psychological thrillers, martial arts, sci-fi, fantasy.

Examples - Usual suspects, pulp fiction, lock stock and 2 smoking barrels, trainspotting, being john malkovich, fight club, snatch, memento, adaptation, crouching tiger hidden dragon, bowling for columbine, farenheit 9/11, almost famous, matrix, x-men, harry potte, LOTR, sixth sense, AI, Donnie Darko, Life David Gale, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I like all of Quinten Tarintino's stuff. If you like scifi you have to watch Blade Runner, that one is on my top ten list. Anythig with John Turturro(sp) in it, he's always in offbeat films. Then again I recommended Barton Fink to someone and they wound up hating me and the movie. lol

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If you like suspense I highly recommend Identity! It has John Cusack in it, I'm a huge fan.
I recently saw the Band of Brothers HBO movie and thought it was really good. About WWII. Followed a group of soldiers from Normandy to the Eagle's Nest.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Million Dollar Baby (about a female boxer/ very good)
The Jacket (thiller)
Identity (horror/thiller/mystery type)
The Island (thiller/sci-fi kinda)
Serenity (sci-fi)
Crash (I cant explain but it was very good)
The Village (thiller)
Constantine (thiller)

All very good movies...to me anyway...LOL

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Identity! Thank you...I have seen it but couldn't figure out the name of the movie. Seen blade runner. I have seen all the tarantino movies and just about every movie with john cusack. Also kevin smith movies. Terry Gilliam movies. I also love british humor(monty python, spaced, are you being served, red dwarf etc). Anime. Last Samurai, fist of legend etc. Kill Bill. Oh and of course Christopher Guest films like Best in Show, waiting for guffman etc.

When I was in the movie store I came across The Station Agent and it looked good. I will probably pick that up next time. Same with Crash.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Other movies I plan on renting soon:

Hero
House of Flying Daggers
The Life Aquatic
I heart huckabees
Seven Samurai
Koyaanisqatsi

Anybody seen any of these movies?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Kung Fu Hustle
Rory O'Shea Was Here
War of the Worlds
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Alien Planet (was on Discovery)

Just a few I've gotten from Netflix lately- all pretty good.

Oh, and one about dragons that was on Animal Planet possibly Dicovery.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've seen both Crash and Hero and liked both of them.
One of my all time favorite movies is To Kill a Mockingbird.
A Beautiful Mind
For very strange movies-Wild at Heart or Drugstore Cowboy

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sin City is another one I have been wanting to see. My sis has it so I will just borrow it from her sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Let's see... I have a chance now to think and type, so here are some suggestions from me:

As others have suggested, check out the others by M Night Shyamalan - Unbreakable, The Village, and Signs. I've been pleasantly surprised by most of the 'comic book' offerings lately - X-Men, X-2, Spiderman, Spiderman 2, Batman Begins... Fantastic Four wasn't as good, but it didn't quite suck. Better than The Hulk, at any rate. I really enjoyed War of the Worlds, despite it being standard Hollywood sci-fi fare - even better was The Island. The Brothers Grimm was a great flick that was mildly off-kilter, made in a very distinct style. Red Eye and Flight Plan were both decent thrillers, though in different ways.

Oh, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith is FABULOUS. I heart assassin flicks, especially when they have humor. :D

If you're looking for light fare, I recommend Sky High (which is great for the whole family, and hubby and I laughed out loud several times), and Curse of the Were-Rabbit (which is coming out in the next few weeks).

Will post again if I think of anything more.... ;)

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Oh, just thought of some good documentaries which you might like:

Paperclips -- very affecting and wonderfully uplifting story of a middle school Holocaust project

Mad Hot Ballroom -- NYC 4th and 5th graders learn ballroom dance and compete for citywide honors

Both are fabulous!! :D

Another one that's out that I want to see is Grizzly Man, about the man who lived in Alaska among the grizzlies.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw unbreakable and Signs.

I still need to catch up on the comic book movies. I saw X-men and X2. I still need to see the spiderman movies and batman begins. I'll try and check out what everyone has mentioned. I think I am going to make a list and start slowing going through it.

Now that I am officialy up to my neck in vet bills as of tonite it may be a while before I can afford to rent another movie.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Your movie taste sounds a lot like ours. Two movies that are definitely off the beaten track but that are totally must sees:

Gummo
Party Monster (with Macauley Culkin and Seth Green)

Gummo is my fiance's favorite, and Party Monster is such a great movie!! Definitely different, but worth renting. Also, the HBO series Deadwood is AMAZING!! You have to check that out too!! It is so raw. It is out on DVD, but the series is like $100.00!! 8O So, you can rent it disc by disc at Blockbuster or Hollywood.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My favorite dvd's....
Capturing the Friedman's is a fantastic documentary.
Marathon Man...watched that last night. Very good.
Taxi Driver
Shawshank Redemption...one of my all time favorite films
Terminator 1 and 2 but not 3.
Scarface
:D

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Erik and I rented "The Skeleton Key" and we were worried about not liking it -- but it's a really great movie. GREAT twist at the end, you'd never even expect it.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
Kris, have you seen Event Horizon? That is a really good horror movie with a space theme to it.

Some other films I like are:

The Exorcist
Coma
Burnt Offerings
Tron
Arlington Road
The Godfather movies
The Thing (1982 version)
The Time Machine (1960 version)
Videodrome
Scanners
The Sender

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have seen Event Horizon. It did creep me a bit and I usually don't get affected by horror flicks. I have seen

The Exorcist
Tron
The Godfather movies
The Thing (1982 version) - I have seen the original.
The Time Machine (1960 version) I have seen the original and new one.
Scanners

I really do like other classic movies as well like

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
The Russians Are Coming
Marx Brothers Movies
Abbot and Costello
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
The Great Race
Many others I can't think of right now

1 - 20 of 22 Posts