Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..
I wonder if anybody can help me out with my kitty's behavior.

I've had my cat for over a year ( she is 2 1/2 years old )
everything was fine up until last week when for some reason she started messing with her water bowl.. she pushes it around the kitchen, spilling water and putting her paws in it. needless to say it creates quite a mess.
She only does this when I can't see her to confront her.. I tried putting less water in the bowl so if she does push it, water won't spill, but that hasn't worked..

any ideas?

thanx.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My kitty plays with the water too! She dips her paw in it and will try to scoop out the ice cubes. It's funny to watch. she will also lay in the sink and watch the water drip. Sometimes when she says hello and I can tell she's been playing in the water because her head is all WET! Needless to say it can be messy but I'm an easy going mommy and let her play. We keep an extra carpet under the water and food bowls which help wih the mess. I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful. My advice is get an extra carpet and let her play!!!!! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the reply..

There are a couple of issues that I'm worried about.

1) once she spills the water ( and I'm at work all day ) she is getting dehydrated until I get home

2) if I don't take control of the situation now it may become worse with time.

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Steve,

I have a couple of suggestions. First you could invest in a new bowl, the kind that won't tip, or get a kitty fountain.....those are heavy and I don't think your kitty will be able to tip it. The fountain will also help with the dehydration.....they help to promote drinking. We have one and the cats seem to like it....its called Petmate Drinkwell. You could also put out a couple of bowls around your house for your kitty. We have the fountain next the food dishes and a lerge bowl next to the sink in the bathroom. Let me know if any of these suggestions work. Good luck.

Liza

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a "kitty fountain" but I didn't like it because I couldn't get into the bottle to clean it and bacteria and fungus could build up in it. Are there cleanable kitty fountains available? My cats like to drink out of the toilet (this worries me) and for some odd reason when I put a water bowl down the cats drop cat food into it and make it all funky.

- koneko

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought a set of big stainless steel bowls because Max would tip the food bowl over if he didn't like the food in it. He also likes to drop stuff in his water bowl. I just change the water 2 times a day. They seem to prefer water that has been in the fridge for a day or more or they will seek a source of running water....taps & toilet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I always give my cats the same water that we drink out of a filtered jug that stays in the fridge... I just don't trust the water around here. If it's not good enough for me to drink it's not good enough for my pets either.

·
Registered
177 Posts
koneko said:
I always give my cats the same water that we drink out of a filtered jug that stays in the fridge... I just don't trust the water around here. If it's not good enough for me to drink it's not good enough for my pets either.
Actually our tap water here is very good. I know it's crappy in Toronto, but Ottawa has always enjoyed nice clean drinking water.

...that's cause' were a government town :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
hello ppl

my cat did exactly the same today, while I was here, spilling water all over and "playing" with the bowl. I dont thing he's playing, he has been sick since yesterday morning, and he's still acting weird as I mention on my previous post. She drinks tap water, I thought this was the problem, and as soon as I gave him bottled water he drank ok for a bit, but after a while he continues to "play" :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would invest in a non-tip bowl placed on one of those skid proof mats that you can buy at a dollar store. I also put some water in a bowl in my kitchen sink...(for those who allow there cats on the counter) because I have one that enjoys playing in the water also...this way he can play away and the mess stays in the sink, other then paw prints left on the counter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fountains are great

My cat does the same thing, he loves to tip over his water bowl so I got him a kitty fountain - its motorized and has a filter so the water is always clean - he plays with the bowl water and drinks from the fountain. I think cats just like to play with the standing water, put the bowl on a towel and try a fountain, at least that will help with the mess

1 - 12 of 12 Posts