Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting Deja Vu, hopefully I didn't already post this question.

Ever since I've owned cats, I've lived in places where there is a foyer or hallway that the apartment opens into. My cats will often sneak out as I open the door when I come home.

In July I'll be moving to a place where the front door opens out into the scary urban world.

My GF and I have been discussing what techniques we could employ to prevent them from running off. I know that my tabby would explore pretty far if he could, as he has been known to do so by previous owners.

Here are the options we are considering thus far. Any advice?

1. Baby gate type thing. The issue with this is that the only place we could really put it is outside. The front exit/entrance doesn't have any sort of narrow hallway otherwise. The entryway into the apartment involves going up some stairs, so I was contemplating putting it outside.

My GF wants to put one right in the archway of the entryway, but I don't see why that would help. I don't want to climb over a 3 foot fence every time I come home and opening it would afford them the opportunity to escape anyway.

2. Electric collar of some sort. I see they make ultrasonic ones now. Are these effective at all??

3. Privacy screen (like those decorative screens used in movies for people to dress behind).

4. Loud noisemakers such as pots or (my idea) an air horn like a clown has

5. Throw treats inside as soon as we open the door.

??

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Husband and I do a "foot sweep" as we come in doorways.
Crack open the door, foot/leg enters first and waves around or pushes kitties close enough to be pushed away from door opening, then we come in. We also use the command "back!" to get them to stay back from the door.

You can use a tin can full of coins to rattle/shake at the cat to keep them from the door but I like your idea of tossing treats away from the door opening, too.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
We do a version of the peek and sweep. We open the door a little but to see if anyone is close by so we know it's safe enough to open the door.

If you give them treats when you open the door won't it train them to come running when they hear someone at the door?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leazie said:
We do a version of the peek and sweep. We open the door a little but to see if anyone is close by so we know it's safe enough to open the door.

If you give them treats when you open the door won't it train them to come running when they hear someone at the door?
That is my worry as well.

The problem with just a peek and sweep approach is that any time we have guests or deliveries, it's a lot harder to prevent them from escaping. That is when they get out 90% of the time. About 9% of the remaining times are when we have groceries and have to make multiple trips back and forth.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
When people come to my door (friends or deliveries) I step outside and shut the door. If the person needs to come inside (friends) I enter first and do the foot-sweep and scatter the cats before they come in. My friends understand to not let any cats escape and they enter quickly and shut the door.

Groceries; I use canvas bags with handles and if a cat tries to scoot past me they get bumped in the head with a grocery bag.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
When I bring in groceries, first, I go in the house and bribe the twins with treats to get them in their room. Then they stay in their room until all groceries, etc., are in the house. Even if it's just one package, I put them in their room. They're getting pretty good at understanding "getbackgetbackgetback" when I come home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys new to the forum but my solution to keeping my 2 from running out is the "hiss" at the door technique.

I know that sounds rediculias but I literally "hiss" and "skkkk skkk" at them. LOL

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Kittee said:
Hi guys new to the forum but my solution to keeping my 2 from running out is the "hiss" at the door technique.

I know that sounds rediculias but I literally "hiss" and "skkkk skkk" at them. LOL
That a good one, hiss and spit at the kittehs as you enter. :lol: I'd worry that I would scare them too much, as I can make a very authentic kitty hiss. :oops:

I do a slight variation of the "foot sweep" as I enter. I put my foot and leg in first, blocking the door, then slipping in while opening the door as little as possible. If I have groceries to bring in, I go in first and latch Arianwen in the bedroom till I get them all in.

My trick for keeping my beloved door-dasher in as I leave involves having a rocking recliner placed close to the door. As Arianwen gets in her "starting gate" at the door, I gently scoop her up and place her on top of the upright back of the recliner. The chair rocks a little, making my kitty pause as she steadies herself before jumping down and darting back to the door. That delay gives me enough time to dash out.
Sneaky, but gentle and effective.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I generally do the foot thing in combination with the lowered-bag thing, or sometimes the bend-over-and-hold-the-cat-while-I-enter thing.

I'm actually kind of concerned about my new apartment. In my current place, the door opens directly to the outside, but it's on the second floor and the bottom of the stairs lets out behind the building. So when Stormy door-darts she has to run down the stairs. Then when she gets to the bottom it's apparently mandatory to sniff the stairwell throughly. Thus I have plenty of time to scoop her up again.

In fact, now I often take long enough to put stuff down before I go after her. Earlier this week she made it out when I came in with a bag of groceries and I put the ice cream in the freezer before I went after her. I went out to find her trotting back up the stairs again. Then she ran back down when she saw I was coming.

It's like she was thinking, "Hey! I run downstairs and you're supposed to chase me! Get with the program!"

But my new apartment is going to be on the first floor and opens out onto a small patch of lawn before it hits parking lot. This worries me since once she slips out, the parking lot will be right there.

I guess I'll just have to hope for the best (and start grabbing her faster).

On the bright side, the door-darting will be a problem for less of the year in Iowa than it is in North Carolina. (She doesn't seem nearly as determined when it's cold outside.)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We went and measured the new place and think we might be able to fit a gate at the door. I then went out and purchased a 36" tall baby gate with a swinging door. I've installed it in my current apartment as a test. So far the cats are befuddled by it. My calico has figured out that the swinging gate part moves sometimes so when I put her on the other side she pulls on it constantly. Neither have jumped on it yet, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts