Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately my 9 yr. old sweet cat has continued to urinate on the floor right at feeding time and I'm lost with coming up with solutions. I've read about urination issues, causes & solutions, but haven't seen one about the behavior I'm dealing with. Here's hoping someone has some insight into a solution, since I'm at my wits end.

The urination problem happens right before it's feeding time and I get the cat food and he finds a place to urinate on the floor- in a big puddle. I've scolded him but that hasn't changed anything. The litter box can be cleaned and that doesn't make a difference. Also, there haven't been any changes such as food or new additions, and he gets along fine with the other cats & 1 dog. I've moved his bowl to a location where he urinates on the floor, only to find him urinate in a new location on the floor. If anyone has experience with this please share anything that may have worked, since I'm not too far from surrendering him or turning him into an outdoor cat for most of the time.

thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Strange for sure. It may be a behavioral development, in other words, he may associate the urination with getting his meal. Of course, it could be a lot of things, but if it’s a conditioned behavior, the meal prep has become a trigger for him to pee.

Have you tried sneaking his food into his dish? Doing it at an unexpected time, and in an unexpected way… for example, you could shut him in a room (with a litter box) then put his food down and let him out of the room. Or you could sneak into a bathroom, turn on some music and the fan to distort the sounds of the meal prep. Then set it right down outside the door where he can get it. This would also involve moving where you keep the food in case opening that cabinet or pantry is part of the trigger. If it’s a crinkly bag, you might want to store his food in a plastic container. The idea is to eliminate all possible triggers (sights, sounds, smells, routines) to avoid the behavior.

Have you considered putting a litter box where he is urinating? Not permanently, but to see if he will use it instead of the floor. It would buy you some sanity while you figure this out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thoughts LeChi. I'll try to avoid the triggers & sneak the food into his bowl. Unfortunately he pees in the hallway and other locations, so it's just 1 spot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have you had him checked by a vet? to me this is always the first step, just in case it is medical and can be solved easily with medication.

also.....Just a thought.......and you may have tried this....put him into the cat box before meals?
Shut him into a room with the cat box and the food?

How about this:
Get a secure wire mesh dog crate and feed him his meals outdoors in that, maybe on the patio or porch or in the yard, with newspaper on the bottom so if he pees you can just easily pick it up. That way he won't be in danger being outside, but you have easy cleanup.

Please don't scold him. It won't help and can damage your relationship with him and cause him to lose trust in you.

And if you are considering putting him outside, I hope that you are in a very safe area with large trees he can climb to get away from predators, and far away from any street. Outdoors is a very dangerous place for little cats. If you put him out and he gets killed you may never forgive yourself, so think about this carefully.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good thoughts LeChi. I'll try to avoid the triggers & sneak the food into his bowl. Unfortunately he pees in the hallway and other locations, so it's just 1 spot.
Does he ever urinate outside of his box when it is not right before he gets his meal? Was there a time he started doing it (and a time when he was only using his box)? These are all questions you can ask yourself to gather more info about what he is doing, to try to understand why.
Other questions you can think about might be, Does he have any other behavior issues or curious behaviors? Are there other cats in the house and what is their behavior like? Looking at the bigger picture might give you a fresh perspective.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Until you figure it out, here's a few things to do:
First, check with your Vet to rule out any medical problems, like a UTI.
Never scold or punish a pet for unwanted behavior. Instead, reward them with praise and treats for appropriate behavior.
Add another litter box or two in other nearby easily-accessible areas.
Keep food/water and litter boxes far away from each other.
Immediately and thoroughly clean any urine from area before your cat's meals.
Try a calming spray or diffuser like Feliway.
If nothing resolves it, talk to your Vet about an anti-anxiety med.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all & I appreciate your suggestions. After thinking about it for a while, I think the best strategy to try will be feeding him just once/ day in the morning once I get up since it's my best chance to catch him and carry him to the feeding area to prevent him from urinating before feeding. He has been vet checked annually, last time just a few weeks ago, vet never found issues. I'm pretty convinced it's an unfortuante behavioral issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts