Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember some of what I learned in Italian, but I want to know about a rule. I know how to say "welcome friends" and "welcome family," but when putting more than one item in a sentence such as "friends and family," do you conjugate the verb welcome to match the first word or to just mean "many?" My head's starting to hurt and I sold my old Italian book which I'm kicking myself for now.

Anyway -- here is my attempt. I'd love to know if it's right! :)

benvenuti amici, famiglia, e stomachi affamati

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
amici e famiglia benvenuti
That's what Babelfish gave me when I put in "welcome friends and family".

welcomes friends, family, and stomachi starve to you
But this is what Babelfish gives me when I tried it to translate "benvenuti amici, famiglia, e stomachi affamati". I got a nice chuckle out of that!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! Yes -- it's funny. Sometimes I try to put the same words that it translates for me BACK into the translator, and it comes up with something totally different than what I started with. That's why I'd really like to know what someone who knows the language has to say. Thanks though -- your translation seems much more correct than my guess.

So maybe it should be

"amici, famiglia, e stomachi affamati benvenuti"

...it's just that then I'm afraid that says "friends, family, and welcome hungry stomachs." That's where it would be really helpful to know what that rule is...

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
"benvenuti amici, famiglia, e stomachi affamati"
Sounds good to me to make the subject agreement as it is above.

That was funny-"stomachi, starve to you" haha

By the way, are you planning a trip around the world,For Jazz? The French post, now this, what is next , German? ..I know only a few words and catch phrases there. I just hope you won't go to Thailand, I can't be of any help in that respect :lol:

Oh, and speaking of Italian, I have to brag again, how I fell in love with this language. I was more into the anglo-saxon type of languages and refused to learn one bit of Italian; it came more naturally to me(being Romanian),but I was more stubborn than anything , I guess.
All of that ended when I saw " La Vita E Bella" ("Life is Beautiful"), one of the best movies to me. I could eat that little boy in the movie.
I can tell you entire lines in Italian from the movie. It is very endearing..

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ioana, thank you so much. Really -- it means a lot to me. I started explaining in my other post, but I'll expand in this one. I've been helping my sister diligently with her new house because I want to leave her with a huge gift. She moved to Madison about a year ago because her husband got a better job here that would allow her to stay home with her children. She left a city, a neighborhood, a circle of friends, and much much more behind when she left the Twin Cities. She had her perfect life there, and for a while, being near me after moving was the only upside for her. She worked her butt off to make good friends here and rebuild what she had, and I think she's getting there. They bought a gorgeous home for themselves here, but it is a project as it is very plain right now. She's in the process of re-doing all of it so that she feels like she is at home. She's working her butt off and I really want to help her get to a place where she feels happy and comfortable, because I will be leaving the state sometime this year to go be with Brandon. Right now his job has him traveling, so we are apart, but they want to give him a permanent location at an undetermined time in the future. So...this not only makes me sad because I will be leaving the city that *I* love...but my sister is pretty sad about it since this past year has been the only time we've lived close to each other since she went away to college. I love her and her family dearly, so I want nothing more than to help her feel at home here before I leave.

I know some Italian as I took it for my second language in college. I too loved the language -- possibly more than Spanish, which I took for 5 years. I should have continued it but I had other priorities in school, but maybe someday I'll pick it back up again. It did come easily to me, but I wasn't confident enough in my abilities to paint something permanent on my sister's wall. ;)

So...I'm helping her paint and create art for her walls. But to me it's a lot more than that. So thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
And I really am happy to help, Julie
It is going to be hard to separate from your sister as the prospects show now, but who knows what future holds? I am glad that you have at least been there for her when it seemed like it was the hardest.
I have never taken Italian - so all the Italian I know is from reading Italian magazines growing up, and watching Italian movies & It. TV.
It comes naturally to Romanians because 60% of our vocabulary is of Latin origin.
I am saying this because I am not sure about the punctuation in this phrase, if there's a comma after "famiglia" as well.
It wouldn't hurt to snoop around some more just to make sure of it.
I know you are looking forward to finalizing this project.
It really sounds great. I love the idea of putting these European like accents in a home. It brings a lot of warmth to a household.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts