Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, please reade and help if you can! :cat3
So yesterday I got a new kitty. He is 4 months old, and a british shorthair. I've had two cats in the past (one after the other), and they both came from an animal shelter, they both were adults and outdoor cats. Never had any problems with them.
But my new cat, Fenris, is an indoor cat. He was an indoor cat in his last home, where he lived with his parents and siblings. The problem I have with Fenris is that he won't stop meowing, I of course suspect that it is because he misses his family, but I feel so sad for him, and there seems like there is nothing I can do to make it better.

He does eat and drink, he washes himself, he has used his cat toilet, and he sleeps a little every now and then. But when he is awake he meows almoast constantly.
If i try to play with him, it only distract him for a few minutes, sometimes only a few seconds.
When it comes to cuddeling he also seem a bit strange. He does not want to sitt with me, not even when I cuddle him. but he usually stays on the other side of the couch, just out of reach. if I go over to him and cuddle him, he acepts it, and actually quiets down and purrs. But for some reason, even though he seems to then relax and enjoy himself he suddenly gets up, move away from me and starts meowing again.
This is all so frustrating! I feel so bad for him, and at the same time can't help but feel a bit annoyed, 'cause it seems like nothing helps and I do not know what to do to make him feel more at home! :sad

Help please! :2kitties

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's odd behavior for sure, but cats in general are odd. Haha. You were saying he had a previous family? Do you mean cat family or human? It may just be that he's confused. As far as cuddling, my cat does something similar where she will come up to me and want to be pet but after about a minute she runs off suddenly, but then will come back again and repeat. If I approach her though she will let me pet her, but if I try to pick her up onto my lap she freaks. All cats are different and it might just take a little bit for him to adjust!

I love British shorthairs btw! You must post pictures! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
He is new to you and you to him. Part of the wonderful world of kitties is that they are so unique, even one to another. Give him time - you said you just got him yesterday. At 4 months he is certainly still a baby and his whole world is upside down. Give it a couple - 3 weeks for him to figure out that this is not a visit but a real move to a new home, new people and new sight, sounds, smells - EVERYTHING! Imagine being a youngster, taken from your home, from those that are familiar and taken to a strange place. You'd meow non stop, too!! Give him time, space and let him seek you out. Cuddles in tiny doses and plenty of soft reassuring talk. Remember he is a baby and scared!!

View attachment 33409

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
And keep in mind, not all cats are lap kitties. My 2 are polar opposites. One loves to be held, in my lap, etc., but has no interest in getting in the bed or sleeping next to me. The other HATES to be held, picked up, in my lap, etc., but is stuck to me like glue in the bed.

Regarding the meowing, he's only been with you for a day. Being in a new house can be very stressful (put yourself in his position). Some kitties talk, some hide, etc. Just try talking back to him (I have conversations with my kitties all of the time :)) in a soothing, soft voice. And try playing with him too (get some good interactive/wand toys if you don't have them already). Getting him to exercise helps relieve stress.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Is he really a British Shorthair, with papers and everything? If so, their breed description is that they are not lap cats... so, yeah. Every cat is different but this shouldn't be a surprise either.

Besides that, he's new to your home. There is going to be a lot of adjustment going on and that takes time. Just relax and let him unwind.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Your fur baby is just probably scared still in his new surroundings. Just give him some time. It takes a few weeks for most kitties to start getting used to their new home. Just be there for him, play with him, give him little treats, pretty soon he will be your best friend.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yes, it is totally normal that he is meowing and scared. He really is. Just talk soothingly to him, don't try to go to him and handle him, let him come to you, and he will eventually. He's scared, poor baby. It is best to usually contain them to one room, like a bedroom, at first, to get used to that room before checking out the whole house. Then that room will become their "safe" room that they will be comfortable with and run to when they are scared. Poor little guy, he is just scared, in a few days he'll be better and within a few weeks he will think he owns the house. Just be patient with him and be near him, but don't try to handle him to much, unless he wants to be handled.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What has been said. All normal. Only been a day? I agree - it takes several weeks to begin to feel confident and secure. But even then, they will go through different phases - you won't know what they are like until they are a year or so old - and they may go from cuddly to distant to cuddly again over a period of weeks.

Eating, drinking and using litter box is the most important thing for now, and you've got that. Give it time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My cat did the same thing after I moved with him (leaving behind his brother and four other cats he had lived with for his whole life up until that point). It was an adjustment period and after a week or so he was no longer meowing, and then after about two months he was completely back to normal. It's hard not really being able to help and just having to wait, but in the end it all works out and they are just as happy as they were.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Ts only been ONE day. Give him a break. I don't think itys odd behavior...he's calling for his family...human or cat. He will settle down. I have 2 cats...gizmo is a lap cuddle bug...but even she can get annoyed with all my huggs and kisses...marshall is the complete opposite. He doesn't like to be picked up or held or cuddled...I do it hoping he's relax and get used to it...but I don't force it. Gizmo is very vocal..well maybe I should just say talkative...which I love...she will answere with cute short 1/2 meows...gahhhhh love it. Marshall only really talks when he wants something...usually food

1 - 11 of 11 Posts