Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 15-year-old female spayed cat who won't stop spraying inside. She is an outdoor cat, and has gone through phases of doing this on and off the last 10 years, but for the last year or so, it is daily and sometimes twice daily. There was nothing we can think of that could have led to this change.

We have been to the vet, we have used pheromones, we have tried moving her litter box to where she always pees, moving her food, changing the type of litter box, ensuring the litter box is pristinely clean, putting tin foil and plastic on the floor, moving furniture on top of the area (she then pees on the side of the furniture), and many other ideas, but nothing is working. She sprays inside along the outer wall, where we have windows and a patio door. We have baseboard heaters and ultimately she ends up getting pee inside the heater, and the smell is nasty. She has ruined our hardwood floors and no amount of enzyme cleaner will now get rid of the smell. I don't want to get new floors because they will also be ruined.

I am absolutely despondent about this. Our house smells like cat pee all the time - especially in our dining room, where we eat every day. I don't want to have anyone over because it's embarrassing. We love our cat, but this is seriously affecting the quality of our life. We have had people suggest giving her away (who wants a cat that pees???) or even putting her down, but neither of those are options we would consider. She could easily live another five years. She is overweight, but otherwise healthy.

We do have other cats in the neighbourhood that sometimes enter our yard, but there is not much I can do about that. Can anyone suggest anything? I just don't know what to do next.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Have you tried a motion-activated spray? Psssst!
You could also try more litter boxes in a quiet low-traffic area. Also, Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter has worked for me. There are also other powders one can add to the litter. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I have never heard of the motion-activated spray. I just ordered it, so fingers crossed! I have a litter box in a quiet area and one more central. I have tried covered litter boxes, uncovered, low, higher, different locations, and many different kinds of litter. I think the issue is she is territorial and is just spraying to mark her territory after she encounters or sees other cats outside. I appreciate your suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That’s exactly what’s going on. She’s territorial. Hope the motion sensors work. Good luck. 🤞

1 - 4 of 4 Posts