Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New here. I love my new cat don gato.I’m Robert.I’ll try to keep this short.
We moved in to a condo with our existing 7 year old cat Adelaide. She is super cool and chill. She’s been to 4 countries so far. Since moving in we adopted off the street an estimated 10 month old torty. Long story with the torty but overall her and Adelaide are good.
Soooooo. Also since moving in there has been this 9 year old unfixed resident male condo grounds cat “ Don Gato”. I Started feeding him when we first moved in. 8 months later now I am his sole provider of food. I’ve trapped him and taken him to the vet but that was in the beginning so I didn’t get him tested for leukemia. Now he’s my dude. Really my best bud. We hang out during the day. He calls for me. I just dig him immensely.
So my question is we want to move. How do I take Don Gato with us?
Do I test for leukemia,bring him indoor,then get him fixed, heal indoor, transition with our cats then move?
Just looking for the best thing for the cat. He currently lives outdoor and supposedly at our building for 3 years. I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
193 Posts
Glad to hear all is well with Adelaide and the Torty. My advice is to take Don Gato with you. You should absolutely have him neutered. We've had spayed/neutered female/male cats and the neutered males are the sweetest. And since Don Gato (love the name) has already attached to you he will probably only get more chill. Our two boys, Andy and Bugsy, are both neutered and they took to each other after only 6 days. You are lucky to find an outdoor cat that has let you touch him. We had Marvin, who came in and out of the house, and he would never let us come close enough to take him to the vet. We eventually had to let him go.

BTW, I love that Adelaide is a black cat. They are some of the sweetest. We had a black cat, Toby, who died prematurely due to asthma and we just loved him. Bugsy is a Bombay/Manx mix so he has taken the black cat thing to a whole new level. :)

Attachments

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well dang. Thank you for responding. I wasn’t sure if I should take him. He’s definitely fatter now. But he does have a pretty good outdoor gig here. Always warm in Mexico. But he is outdoor and on his own and we click so I just can’t leave him.
sorry to hear about Toby. We’ve never had a black one. Let alone 2 Mexican street cats. We hope he turns out as cool as Toby. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Definitely you should take him with you, and also get him neutered. I can tell you are a good cat person, knowing you should test for diseases and get him what he needs. It sounds as if you have a bond with this cat and it would be unkind not to take him with you. He is lucky you came into his life, and I think this has a good chance of working out well for everyone. If you have not already done so you may want to do a little research on how to introduce a new cat to the household before you bring him indoors.
I wish you the best of luck!
PS I had a cat named Gato once. Great cat. Great name.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I really never thought about it that way. I just connect with him. It’s great.
so I think I will draw his blood. He won’t let anyone else get close to him, accept my wife of course. Get him tested then bring him in slowly.
I watched how the cat boarders did it when we lived in Amsterdam so I’m sure it can be done. Any ways thanks for the help and words of encouragement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts