Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I have two cats, Domino and Buffy. Domino is a 7 yr old male whom we've had since he was a kitten, and Buffy is our newest addition, she is about 10 months old, we got her from the shelter in March. Vega, our oldest cat, had to be put down this past New Years Eve, she had cancer. ANYWAY, Vega loved to be brushed, she would rub up against the brush, arch her back, she could lay there for hours and be brushed until she was bald! Well, not really, but you get the idea. Domino and Buffy, hate it, can't stand it. I've tried different brushes, the bristle ones, the ones with the rubber nubbs. They go into like a "defense mode" sort of. Does anyone know anything I can do to help my scaredycats get over this, because they have to be groomed. It's getting warmer and they are shedding, and when I pet them I need a trash bag next to me so I can put the hair that is rubbed off in there. :( Please help.

·
Registered
366 Posts
oh yes! The giant pile of cat fur! Some cats just don't like being groomed - Norville didn't, but Pfeffa is fairly tolerant of grooming (I use a de-matting comb, but am going to be trying a slicker brush and a curry comb soon) until I've pulled on a mat one too many times, then she lets me know she's done. I usually reward her with several pets between particularly bad areas (she doesn't like any treats, but you could try that if your cats do).

I've seen a "grooming glove" that you might be able to use to help get them used to that pulling feeling without using an actual brush. Look also for a really small brush that will fit in your palm (hidden) and use that in one hand and pet them with the other. Do only small sections each day, and stop before they get mad.

I think with lots of positive reinforcement, they'll get over it - or at least tolerate it for short bursts!

·
Registered
89 Posts
At petsmart theres a thing that you can put on the corner of a wall and it has cat nip in it. My old babysitter used to have one and there cat was always rubbing against it. Also at walmart they have a brush thing but it looks like a toy so they'll just rub against that too and its staticy or something so it picks up hair. Or maybe just keep petting them to brush them. I don't know if i'd use a grooming glove because wouldn't that make them afraid or you petting them if they don't like it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts