Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I changed my cats litter brand and she didn't like it at all so she started to pee and poop next to her litter box, so I switched back to the original brand I was using and it helped a little, but she still goes next to the box. So I got a bigger litter box and she will go in it 70% of the time. Sometimes she will put her front feet in it but still the other half is not in! It has ruined my floor in the room I now have to replace the floor and my husband wants to get rid of her (understandable) but if there is another way to fix this problem I want to do that so we can keep her. I love my kitty and would feel horrible sending her to a new home, I couldn't do that to her... so I need this to work.

Any suggestions?

She doesn't have a bladder infection either... or stones. She is very healthy, just a little dumb :/

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Kitty won't learn if she can still smell the pee, you need to rip up the floor and replace everything that could possibly have a cat pee smell on it and soak it in an enzyme cleaner. Another suggestion, after doing that as step number one, would be to get a large cat box that she must jump in to use, such as a large rubbermaid box, that way she has to be either in or out... maybe she'll pick in.

One thing is, if she has a litter box issue, she is highly adoptable and if you cannot fix the issue, I can almost grantee no one else will be willing to try and fix it. She's virtually unadoptable; if someone adopts her not knowing this, I can bet she won't last long in their home, either. Sometimes a new environment can snap a cat out of this type of this routine behaviour, but most often no one is willing to try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carmel
I think you may have nailed it... even though I clean the floor, she must be thrown off by her super scent abilities :D
I will have to replace the floor soon, even with pinesol (sp?) that didnt work. The box I use is one of those large plastic containers about 4'x2' lol its as big as its going to get... lol

I thought I might try and move the box in a different room (with plastic underneath it 8'x12' wide space, just in case she doesnt get it, we cant afford to have to replace a second room...) and closing the other room off while we replace the floor.

It's a nightmare thinking about finding someone who would take a cat like her... I just hope we can fix this problem. She is a little "slow", she just got all the cute from the cat gene pool and her sisters and brothers must have got the brains... lol My friends have nick named her derp cat...

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I meant something like this:

That way she'll have to jump into the box to use it (you mentioned she only goes half in), I know lots of people that don't use traditional litter boxes for their cats and use these instead.

Good luck! Sounds like to have a good plan of action.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pine Sol isn't good enough to take away the smell. You need to use an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solutions (I bought mine at Petsmart but it can be purchased other places as well) EACH time the cat (or dog) has an accident on the floor, following the directions on the bottle. Maybe place a second litter box directly over the area she normally uses outside her original litter box?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts