Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 week old kitten. We adopted her from a shelter. She was abandoned shortly after birth and was adopted by another mother cat at the shelter. The mother cat nursed her until just recently. The mother's own kitten is much older and she was pushing the younger one away. We have been feeding her kitten formula with a bottle and she's done very well. I've done some research and found that she should be introduced to solids at this point. I've tried adding a very small amount of kitten food to her formula but she won't eat. She smells it and then cries. If I empty her saucer and fill it with just formula she laps it up like there's no tomorrow. I've tried smearing a tiny bit of the food on her lips so she can taste it but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hello and congratulations on your new Kitty!
The first step I suggest you take at this stage is mixing formula with kitten canned food. Then gradually use more canned and less formula. When the kittens I was taking care of were weened from the formula and were satisfied with the canned food I started offering them dry food over night - which they ate. Do not mix any kind of liquid - formula or canned food with the dry food since it can lead to developping bacteria that may upset the kitty's tummy.
There is still a live debate on what is best to feed our cats - dry or canned food - so you will have to decide for yourself what you will want to do in the future. I like to feed my kitties a little bit of both. Actually one of my cats , Frosty dislikes canned food - thank goodness he eats plenty of green leafy vegetables, watermelon and other cooked meats to make up for it :D

ps - your kitty reminds me of one of the kittens (Lovie)that I cared for. She simply refused to eat with the others that were lapping. I had to still bottle feed her for a while. I was mixing the exact amounts of formula and canned food and she ate it out of the bottle - go figure. When she realized she wasn't making much proggress since she was ripping the nipple off from the first suctions + pulling it out and waisting milk she resumed to lapping - but only in my lap :lol: .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kitten help

Thank you for your advice. I did try mixing a very small amount of canned kitten food with the formula but she didn't want it. I guess I'll keep tying and if anyone else has any suggestions, please post them. Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you tried giving her just kitten food with no formula, perhaps she doesn't like the taste of the formula with the food.

How old is she?

I suggest trying her with dry food. she may prefer that, or even some tuna, I know the kittens I am getting from my breeder had to be weaned a bit earlier than normal and they loved tuna and their dry food.

Let us know how she gets on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again-
Well, I tried mixing a very tiny bit of Iams canned kitten food with the formula this morning...figured I do it in the morning when she's most hungry. She wouldn't eat it. I made it very soupy. She's only 6 weeks old and never had anything but formula and mom's milk. I purchased dry food and wet it down but she didn't like that either. Thanks for all the advice....keep it coming!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Remember not to mix dry food with anything wet -- the surface of dry food is very oily and when wet, bacteria forms easily. This will upset your kitty's tummy. So unless she eats it immediately, don't mix wet things and dry food.

If your kitty won't eat the food yet, it's not a tragedy. Some just take longer than others -- if you just keep offering the wet food then your kitty should accept it eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts