Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was in california for a while with someone who i thought i was going to marry anyways it did not work out and I have one cat left behind from it. THe lady that is taking care of the cat cant look after her anymore because the cat is clawing up her carpet.

I contacted every rescue but a lot of them want to place this cat in situations i know she will explode in. The cat cant handle being in a cage or in crowded areas and has trouble with other cats.

ANyways i thought maybe it is best i ship her to me but i am so cluleess i do not know how. I am afraid customs will just reject her? Can anyone here guide me that has done it before? i am in canada so i have to give instructions to the lady that is taking care of her.

The city the cat is leaving is sacramento california and the city the cat will be arriving to is ottawa ontario.

Another problem is this cat in a crate will **** and poop herself silly. Is there anyway to prevent that? No feeding/water the night before? not sure how this works?

What about mild sedatives? She is a very nervous cat and will be travelling alone.

There are no direct flights when a person flys

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
i have kind of lost respect for rescues a lot of them stopped e mailing me back when i started to list the issues this cat had like when i said she will explode in anger and throw a tantrum in a cage they just didnt even bother responding to me and one rescue tried to make me pay them 1200 to take the cat

this cat is a rescue herself that is how i got her

i told every rescue this cat needs a foster home could be adopted out through pet finder or something when i came up with that idea they also stopped talking to me

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Ship your cat? That isn't even legal. There was a lady here in MN who tried to mail her dog to GA and is now facing animal cruelty charges. If your cat can't handle itself in a cage in a rescue what makes you think it won't be traumatized being shipped?

·
Registered
40 Posts
She would need to be in a airline approved crate for the trip, larger that normal with LOTS of towels. She'd need to be shipped via passenger airlines with the correct paperwork to enter Canada (health certs, rabies, bunches of other stuff). Food and water would have to be sent with her and she'd need to use the towels instead of a litter box. Most companies will only fly animals during certain times of the year (not to hot, not to cold) and some require some one to fly with the pet (which would be better than flying her as cargo) and it sounds like she would need to be tranq'd for the trip.

Contact airlines to find out if they carry animals/pets and what their requirements are. Find out what travel papers would be needed and what papers would be needed for her to cross the border/customs.

Pet Travel - Moving Pets to Canada may get you started. Check with specific airlines for their requirements and pricing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I know that this isn't what you want to hear, but please be patient with rescues. I used to work for one, and I literally would get over 50 emails or phone calls a day of people wanting to surrender their kitty for one reason or another. And I live in a rural community, I can't imagine what a place like Sacramento goes through with calls and emails. It gets overwhelming and sometimes things fall between the cracks. They are working hard to help end pet homelessness with minimal resources, please be understanding. It's not easy and is so frustrating, you love animals and you want to help all of them. But there is always so much more need then you can meet. The number one reason people called to surrender their cat was "I moved and I can't take them with me". I hope that there is a way you can get your sweet girl to you. Research about flying, and I would call a veterinarian close to where the kitty is currently staying to see if they have any recommendations on how to make travel the least stressful on your little girl.

Rescues and shelter's must also take into consideration how the kitty would respond in the environment that they would have them in. Most will either be in cages or out and about with other kitties. Prolonged amounts of time under stress can do a lot of damage to a kitty physically and psychologically. For example we had one cat that someone surrendered to the shelter that was extremely cat aggressive. She got out of her cage 3 times and would always immediately look for a cat to attack. She sent several kitties to the vet with wounds. She would attack cats in cages too if she could see them. So she had to stay in the cage, yet being in a cage caused her a great deal of stress and she literally started going crazy. When away from other cats and out of her cage she was the most loving and adorable little thing! The vet had to put her on a closely monitored anti depressant just so she could function and calm down. Then the day happened when someone put her back in her cage and she didn't want to so she bit someone. Was this fair to the cat? Was there perhaps somewhere else that would have been able to better suit her needs? A good rescue will try to help you find a place if they aren't able to meet your kitty's needs. But there is only so much they can do. I'm not gonna lie, a cat that doesn't like cages or other cats will have a hard time finding a shelter to meet her needs. However you are her mommy, her life is in your hands and I know you love her and will do what is best for her. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
There are only a few carriers designated to transport cats into Canada, with Air Canada being the primary one. You should contact Air Canada Cargo and they will walk you through the requirements, or put you in contact with someone who can. Cats aren't allowed to fly in anything but cargo on international flights, so your only option is to send her via cargo (although it will be pet cargo, not regular cargo).

Your cat will need various shots/treatments before she can enter Canada and there's a waiting period between the time she has the shots and the time she can travel (I don't recall how long, but I think it's at least a month).

You will also need to find a direct flight (since the cat won't be able to be transferred en route). I know you can't get a direct flight from Sacremento to Ottawa, but you should look into whether there's a direct flight from Sacramento to Toronto or to Montreal, whereupon you will need to drive from Ottawa to either Toronto or Montreal to pick up the cat. If there's no direct flights from Sacremento to Toronto or Montreal, you'll have to find a main hub in California (Los Angeles, for example) that will fly direct to Canada, and someone at the other end will have to drive to the relevant U.S. city.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ship your cat? That isn't even legal. There was a lady here in MN who tried to mail her dog to GA and is now facing animal cruelty charges. If your cat can't handle itself in a cage in a rescue what makes you think it won't be traumatized being shipped?

so what is the best option? according to you? to kill it?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Ok well first I want to apologize because I read your post in error and I thought you meant SHIP your cat, not FLY your cat to Canada. Second, why would you think I was insinuating that you kill your cat?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey it was just an emotional reaction to your post and a misunderstanding i just want what is best for her and her to be happy againg i start to cry just thinking about it because pple would call her a devil lcat and the cat was so sweet with me slept w me every night follow me around cause i understsood her and knew how to act around her

Ok well first I want to apologize because I read your post in error and I thought you meant SHIP your cat, not FLY your cat to Canada. Second, why would you think I was insinuating that you kill your cat?

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Several years ago when Gabriel was coming to live with me I researched (and had his breeder research) the options for flying him across the border. I would recommend you call Air Canada Cargo and speak to them directly about the rules of shipping across the border. I also strongly recommend you contact Border Services about the import rules. In the end it was actually cheaper and MUCH MUCH MUCH less hassle to fly him to an airport within a day's drive for me on the US side. I then drove to pick him up there and drive across the border with him. The paperwork needed is far less. There was far less cost and hassle for the sender too. Sending an animal on an international flight involves a fair amount of paperwork. The only complication with this is you MUST meet the kitty at the airport when the flight arrives.

A better option is if you know someone flying from Sacramento to an airport in the US nearest you is to have the kitty fly in the cabin with them. And you drive down to pick up the kitty. This means you are certain of the care that kitty will receive throughout the trip.

DEFINITELY discuss sedation with the airlines before you do this as most will not accept a kitty who has been obviously sedated.

ETA: You will likely pay duty on the kitty when importing so make sure to have your rescue paperwork handy. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for your responses but like the other poster said i looked into it there are no direct flights from sacramento or san fran to ottawa

there are direct flights from san fran to toronto but new problems arise

1. no one there i know of cares enough about the cat to drive her to the san fran airport. I could e mail all the rescues but i have a feeling they wont care and will just ignore me again.

2. I have a serious panic disorder been in therapy for it for over 10 years. Just like my cat when i drive in new places that are big and crowded i start to get scared panic an shake. I am fine if someone else is driving but if its me i have to pull over and make someone else drive my car. I live an hour and a half away from ottawa now but i grew up in ottawa and know the area really well so am am able to drive there without freaking out cause i have done it a million times. Toronto or montreal i have never done just scares the **** out of me. If ic could get one of my friends who is a good driver to drive MY CAR to one of those big cities that might work but everyone is so wishy washy they say yes but often last minute they will back out. If there was a ride program i could take to go to one of those big cities i wonder and i can just take a bus up to the airport and maybe take some kind of ride program back. Not sure how that works.

·
Registered
117 Posts
could you afford to go get your cat, then she can travel back with you in the cabin?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i just got a new job and only get one day off a week now. The other option is this cat santuary in sacramento he sent me pictures it is a rescue it looks pretty good but he wants 1200 if he is going to take in my rescue he wont talk to me unless i pay. I can show u guys his site if u want. ASeems a nice place for cats.

she will live there till she gets adopted out and if she doesnt get adopted out she lives there forever the rescue pays for any health illness she gets on top of that live long promise that if it does not work out with her adoptive parents she can go back to the santuary

I sent him another e mail just now to ask a few questions adnd concerns i will see if he e mails me back at least this way she will never be caged

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
she is such a healthy cat tho and i already got her her shots and testing for feline aids and leaukemia shes young and perfect shape so i think 1200 is a bit silly but when i told him that he just ignored my e mail and never responded. shes only 2. She just needs an experienced owner.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry if I'm not following this correctly, but now you are in contact with a shelter/rescue and are considering placing her there instead of flying her to Canada? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just a little confused and was wondering if you could clarify. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If anyone knows of any other means of transportation to ottawa or my city if there are no direct flights let me know other or if anyone knows a way to get her to the san fran aiport and handle things on the other side of the border. Still looking at my options.

The pet relocator i am looking at is that another method of transporting an animal where they take care of the paper work and shipping for you? i am at work today havent had a chance to really look at them much or phone much yet.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Would you perhaps be willing to search for your kitty a new home? The lady that she is staying with could help you with this, and gives your little girl a good shot at finding a home in an environment that she is relaxed in so people will be more drawn to her. Advertise her in the local classifieds, on craigslist, also a lot of vets will allow you to post fliers in their clinics and sometimes even know of people looking for a new pet that they can connect you with. This way you can be a part of finding her a new home and can feel satisfied knowing she is safe and loved. Just some tips I have found advertising cats for the shelter that I think can be helpful in your finding her a home:

1. Always post a picture with your ad. People are more apt to answer you if they have a face and big eyes to fall in love with.
2. Don't give an uneventful description like "Female cat needs home, moved cant take her with me". Your kitty has a story to tell and a plea to make, a call for a new family to love. Tell her story, people really have a hard time resisting a well put story with the picture of her pretty self.
3. Make your kitty sound good, cause overall she is a love and a good pet. If all you talk about is the bad things then people will be put off by her before she ever gets a chance to prove how wonderful she is. I usually wouldn't talk to people about some of the kitties quirks until after we have corresponded a bit. This gives them a chance to see her for how wonderful she is, then they can weigh whether or not some of her not so great traits are worthwhile.
4. Don't offer her for free. Generally people only looking for a free cat aren't going to give her what she truly needs.

I hope this helps. With a little persistence and hard work you can and will find her a home. I honestly believe there is a perfect match for every cat.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.