Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting married in 13 weeks. A few months ago, I made a collage with different photos I found online just to get an idea of the theme/colours we're going for. We're open to the colour of the bridesmaid dress changing if we get a nice style but are keen to have an aqua/teal colour. We're having the ceremony on the beach (weather permitting) and the tables at the reception are beach themed also. The boys are wearing cream pants, white shoes and a white shirt so it's not like the girls dresses have to be too over the top.

I have a 'back up' dress that I bought a little while ago in case we have no luck with the girls dresses.. I absolutely love the colour of the dress but I'm still not 100% sure of the style..

Opinions are much appreciated, I don't want people saying they like it if they don't.. Everyone's taste is different and I want as many honest opinions to compare as possible.

Note that the brooch is removable and the dress does look a little better without it..

And here's the best man posing in his outfit. Hehe. (Really bad quality pic from my phone.) The boys will have the sleeves rolled up to about their elbows on the day..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I like the dress in the lower left hand corner of the collage best.

Though the dress you show in the picture below it is nice as well. And yes I agree with you about the broach. It would look better without it. I dislike excess stuff on dresses like that.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I like the dress - only question I have is will it look good on all the bridemaids - (if you are having more than one?) That style would not look good on all body types.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Not to be a complete nonconformist here, but I just don't like the idea of matching bridesmaid dresses. To be truly comfortable, people have to wear clothes of their own choosing, that they picked out, and have a prayer of ever wearing again.

When I got married the first time, I told my bridesmaids to just wear a nice dress. Sure enough, they all wear nice dresses that looked great. What's the need to turn these women into clones of each other? You must like them as they are or they wouldn't be your close friends. I think the greatest gift is to give them their individuality!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to be a complete nonconformist here, but I just don't like the idea of matching bridesmaid dresses. To be truly comfortable, people have to wear clothes of their own choosing, that they picked out, and have a prayer of ever wearing again.

When I got married the first time, I told my bridesmaids to just wear a nice dress. Sure enough, they all wear nice dresses that looked great. What's the need to turn these women into clones of each other? You must like them as they are or they wouldn't be your close friends. I think the greatest gift is to give them their individuality!
Very true, I have said from the start I would be happy for different styles in the same colour but I do feel like there has to be some kind of common factor about the dresses.. I'm even beginning to think that maybe we'll have to get something made so we can have the same fabric but different styles to suit everyone..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
For my cousin's wedding last year, her colors were Champagne, Chocolate and, Wine. She let us choose either a Wine or Champagne colored dress with a Chocolate sash. Her only restrictions, above the knee and she had veto powers on the dress. I was the maid of honor.

I'm the insanely tall one :)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I agree. Choose a color range and let them choose (with veto power) a style. Your common factor can be an accessory like a scarf or a mini bouqet or hair bow/clip/ribbon etc. I like the dress(-the brooch) but it would look *AWFUL* on me and I'd be miserable at my friend's wedding wearing it and knowing that.

Excuse the typing, cat sleepng on both hands and my range of movement is seriously impaired.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I really like the skirt portion of the very first picture of dresses... though I'm not a big fan of sleeveless stuff (but I'm a modest prude!). I also like the brooch... it doesn't seem like too much, and the dress would seem kinda plain without it.
Totally matching would be nice for photo shoots, but for just the reception/party I think it would be okay to have everybody wear just the color theme and their own style.

For my wedding, we didn't do the whole "line" of bridesmaids and best man(s). For family members, I just said that my colors were blue and yellow, and they could wear whatever to go with that. My sister wore a dress that was more ivory, but still looked nice with everything else. My mom's dress was more a purple-ish hue (kinda periwinkle) and I didn't like it much...but oh well.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The brooch dress (minus the brooch) could look good on anyone with a few adjustments. Empire waists are flattering on any type of body shape. I think it would look nice if all the dresses were the same color, but you could allow the bridesmaids to choose their own neckline and sleeves. Curvier females could get floofy or capped sleeves; thinner ones could get the tank sleeves or maybe even a halter? If any of your friends are super busty, you might want to consider a different neckline or some lacy material sewn into the V. I think a white lace would look very nice with the teal, especially with the men's white shirts.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Looks like you will have a beautiful wedding! I do agree with the others, find a dress that will flatter all figure types if it's possible, that is if you have woman standing for you that are a bit on the curvy side.

Your color is very similar to my sisters color.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for everyone's input.. I really, really appreciate it. Two of my bridesmaids are very thin, one is curvy and I am a little worried how the dress will go on her.. She usually wears strapless tops that are fitted around the bust and then drop and the dress kinda does that but I'm still not 100% sure it'll suit her.. My Mum & I actually bought a few of these dresses as they were on special a little while ago to use as 'back ups' if we had no luck finding anything else. We're going to see Mum's dress maker today to ask what sorts of things she'll be able to do with it & how much time she'll need to do it (possibly make it strapless etc).. None of the girls are big busted.

I agree with the uniform comments to an extent and would love for my girls to all be able to show their own style and I do want them all to be comfortable but I also want it to fit into the theme we have in mind.

I'm finding it very hard to get the more curvy (and hardest to find a dress to suit) girl to come shopping with me and as mentioned before, the wedding is only 13 weeks away so I'm getting a little worried..

After reading the opinions of you guys on here, I am alot more open to letting them choose their own dress, I might just suggest a colour.. I'm also thinking maybe I could go shopping individually with each of them and try to choose dresses that will look good with the dress that the other/s have chosen, or that the shades of the dresses they like actually look good when put together.

As you all can probably tell, my head is all over the place at the moment - I don't want to be the crazy bridezilla with uncomfortable bridesmaids but I also want everything to look great together. We're spending alot of money on a professoional photographer so I'll be a little disappointed if the dresses totally clash in all the photos. I think for now, I'll try to let them all find their own dresses but if we haven't got anything in the next 6 weeks or so, I think I may have to be a bit of a 'bridezilla' and just get the dresses we have (the ones pictured) altered by the dress maker to suit each girl as best they can.

·
Super Moderator
26,511 Posts
the wedding is only 13 weeks away
Isn't it funny that to everyone except the bride, that seems like such a long time from now. :grin:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn't it funny that to everyone except the bride, that seems like such a long time from now. :grin:
LOL So true! But honestly, I thought 13 weeks was ages too - until I called a dress shop yesterday to enquire about a dress I liked and was told it wouldn't be here until late March if we ordered it now, the wedding is early March! Kinda put me into freak out mode and has made me want to get more organised now, and was pretty much the reason I came here for advice.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
LOL So true! But honestly, I thought 13 weeks was ages too - until I called a dress shop yesterday to enquire about a dress I liked and was told it wouldn't be here until late March if we ordered it now, the wedding is early March! Kinda put me into freak out mode and has made me want to get more organised now, and was pretty much the reason I came here for advice.
This is why I will be making my dress. But first I need to find a guy to walk down the aisle with ;)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I like the dress you chose. I think it would look good on most figure types. I might be old-fashioned, but I think the dress in the lower left-hand corner is too revealing and not appropriate for a wedding. The focus should be on the bride.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I don't have any comments on the dresses that haven't already been mentioned by the other posters, but wanted to say Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! A ceremony by the beach sounds lovely. I hope the weather holds out for you.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts