Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay I can finally post here!!! whohoo

First I wanted to thank all the people that post about food and everything here, I have learned so much.

One of my cats passed away recently his name was Cutie, he had pancreatitis , liver issues, dehydration and all sorts of things, but the vet said his overweight did not help at all. His sister is still with me and I am trying to feed her healthier stuff but she is addicted to dry food or whiskas and friskies. It's so very hard to get her to eat good food. I will be trying nutro this weekend and see how that goes. I been trying to read all the info there is here but it's so hard to read those complex labels on cat food, and there are sooo many, all I know so far is both cats hate innova lol.

I tried Simply Nourish and if I mix it with some whiskas bits she will eat it but she only eats a tiny bit and then walks away :(

I got her a kitten for a companion cause the vet said she may be depressed and lonely missing her brother, they are actually gettig along great. She seems ok but her refusing to eat anything but junk food worries me.

thanks for everything

·
Registered
245 Posts
The first thing you're going to want to do is get your cats on scheduled feedings.
This. If you haven't already, you should definitely take away the constant kibble buffet and instead offer your cats meals at scheduled times. I give my cats three meals a day, when I wake up, around when I eat supper, and then shortly before I go to bed. They're a lot more likely to give something healthier a try when there isn't a bowl of junk food constantly sitting around :p

By the way, it's actually easiest to transition cats to a new food by mixing the old food and the new food at first. Start out with about 75% old food, 25% new food (or even less new food, depending on how picky your cats are) and then over the course of a few weeks just gradually increase the amount of new food in the mix. You can do this with dry food and wet food.

I don't know where you shop for pet food, but if you're near a PetSmart they usually carry a few good brands besides Innova, such as Wellness, Blue Buffalo and Evo. PetSmart also has a brand called Authority, and though it isn't the best I think the ingredients are pretty decent. If you can though try and see if you have any independent pet supply stores nearby. They usually have a larger variety and sometimes even better prices than the big chain stores, so if nothing else it's worth a look.

As for what ingredients to look for and what brands I'd recommend, this recent thread has some good information: http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-health-nutrition/148358-kitty-vomiting.html

If you have any more questions about a specific brand of food they usually have the ingredients up on the companies website. If you copy and paste them into this thread I know myself and a few other people would be happy to give you our opinion.

Just wanted to say I'm really sorry about Cutie passing away :patback I'm sure he had a good life filled with lots of love.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. One thought about introducing a new food....When I first gave Murphy wet food (maybe the first time he ever saw it in his life), he sniffed it and walked away. I threw it out. The next day, same thing. Finally I just left it out, thinking maybe he'd come back later ... and sure enough he did. He was interested in it, but being the cautious types they are, I think he needed more time to inspect it and decide he could try it, before I hastily threw it out.

I also don't think it hurts canned food to sit out for at least a couple hours, so that shouldn't be a worry either. There are conflicting opinions on this, but I've always left out Murphy's canned food all day so he can take his time, and he's never had a problem from it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All awesome info. Thanks for al the feedback.

I am going to guess the whiskas food my cat loves is not good, based on the little i been reading so far.
Whiskas Choice Cuts Poultry Variety Pack Cat Food - Food & Treats Center - Cat - PetSmart

Will be buying Nutro and giving that a try.

Just got a call from vet and said new kitten (Max) has round worms and thats why his tummy seems so bulged up. I thought he was just eating lots. Sigh if it's not one thing it's another :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yup, even though adding some wet food to your cat's diet is a really great idea, in my opinion Whiskas isn't the healthiest choice.

Grilled Chicken Dinner in Gravy
Ingredients: Sufficient Water For Processing, Chicken, Meat By-Products, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Starch, Salt, Natural Flavors, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Caramel Coloring, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dl-Methionine, Vitamin E; D3 Supplements, Iron Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity).

'Meat' as an ingredient is just too ambiguous for my taste. Since there's no way of knowing what 'meat' is being used you would have a tough time narrowing down an allergy or intolerance while your cat was eating this food.

I don't know what Natural Flavors are, but I don't trust 'em. In my opinion if they're so natural they should just tell you what they are.

I don't know what side of the fence you're on about Menadione, but I'm one of those people who don't feel comfortable feeding it to my cats. From the wikipedia article on Menadione (also sometimes listed on labels as vitamin K3): Large doses of menadione have been reported to cause adverse outcomes including hemolytic anemia due to G6PD deficiency, neonatal brain or liver damage, or neonatal death in some rare cases. In the United States, menadione supplements are banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) because of their potential toxicity.

I checked out the ingredients for the Nutro canned Adult and Indoor formulas and I'm actually pleasantly surprised. They don't seem like a bad option to me, so hopefully you're cats will like some of them. I've never bought Nutro canned food so I'm not sure, but I seem to remember hearing that it was a chunks in gravy type food, similar to Whiskas? Sometimes cats prefer certain textures to their food, so if Innova was a smooth pate you might have better luck getting them to try something that feels more familiar.

If you end up having more luck with chunky foods I know Authority has some chunky style flavors because they were the first non-pate food my older cat was willing to eat :p Wellness pouches are chunks in gravy, and Wellness also has a new line of textured canned food (I've never seen them myself but I think it'll say cubed or sliced on the can). Blue Buffalo's Healthy Gourmet canned food has flaked and sliced entrees. See what your PetSmart has and don't be afraid to change it up once your cats are willing to eat new things. Getting them used to a variety can help make them less picky.

Anyway I hope that helps, and I hope poor Max gets rid of those round worms! My Moxie had them as well when we first brought her inside, and it took two rounds of de-wormer to completely get rid of them. I sure hate those nasty things :?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow so much info
Thank you so much!!!!
I'm thinking if that k3 vitamin is not good for humans then I'm not giving it o my kitties!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Will be buying Nutro and giving that a try.
I would recommend staying away from Nutro. Take a minute to read my old threads and then decide. Also go to ConsumerAffairs.com: Knowledge is Power! Consumer news, reviews, complaints, resources, safety recalls and do a search on Nutro.

Nutro was taken over by Mars corporation in 2007 and it's been recall after recall ever since. They also own Royal Canin and Pedigree, not sure if they own any other brands, but those 2 for sure.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Meezer_lover what would you recomend?
After hours and hours of continuous research after Sumo died, I settled on Nature's Logic. It's the only food that doesn't contain chemically synthesized vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Check out their website and Facebook page as well (their FB page contains a lot of good articles).

Nature's Logic

The only down side is that most places don't stock the food. I have it ordered by a local pet food/pet supply store, so I don't pay any shipping.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After hours and hours of continuous research after Sumo died, I settled on Nature's Logic. It's the only food that doesn't contain chemically synthesized vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Check out their website and Facebook page as well (their FB page contains a lot of good articles).

Nature's Logic

The only down side is that most places don't stock the food. I have it ordered by a local pet food/pet supply store, so I don't pay any shipping.
Ok will check it out, I feel that I will find the perfect food and picky eater Cleo wont like it lol. Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've found EVO to be am extremely cost value canned. At $1.75 for 13.2 oz. that s less than .73 for a 5.5 oz. can

·
Registered
611 Posts
hmmm, these are the first few ingredients wonder what the natural flavor is, but having chicken as it's first ingredient and no by products seems good
Meat- and Poultry-Based Pet Food ? Premium Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food, Dog Treats ? EVO Pet Products
Ingredients

• Chicken
  • Chicken Broth
  • Turkey
  • Natural Flavor
It's also grain free. I'm not saying that there nothing better out there, but at 1.75 for 13.2 oz. i'm not sure there much out there that's a better quality for the price, or even at any price I dont know what would be noticeably better.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A lot of people seem to feed their cats EVO, and they seem very pleased with the quality of the food. If it helps, I like the ingredients and I'd definitely let my cats eat it if they were still eating much canned food. There just doesn't seem to be a 'perfect' commercial pet food out there (I don't think there's a 'perfect' food period), so in my opinion it's a matter of providing the best quality you can afford that your cats will actually eat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes I think you are absolutely right. There is nothing perfect out there. But I think just getting them off dry food and onto wet food its a huge step towards their health. I will be trying out a few things this weekend and see how it goes :) Thank you

·
Registered
245 Posts
I remember looking at a can of Evangers a few months back, but since I'd never heard of the company before I didn't buy it. Man, with this and the warning about Nutro on the other page it's a good thing forums like this exist.

Also just to let you know in case you didn't already, be aware that all the seafood flavors of Weruva contain Menadione. I don't buy any seafood flavors from them, but my cats still absolutely LOVE the chicken flavors.

Remember you can mix the new food with what they're used to if it helps get them interested. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts