Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I really need some advice on some new kittens. I just got two female feral kittens, they are 8 weeks old, and they are giving me a run for my money! I was trying to keep them in the bathroom to socialize them, which only lasted a few days before they managed to escape! Now they hide under the couch all day, and I cant get them out! They only come out at night when I am asleep to eat and use the litter box and to play. I can't get them out myself, they freak out if I try to touch them, but I need to get them socialized before it's too late. Any Advice?

Thanks,
Sara :kittyturn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi everyone,

I really need some advice on some new kittens. I just got two female feral kittens, they are 8 weeks old, and they are giving me a run for my money! I was trying to keep them in the bathroom to socialize them, which only lasted a few days before they managed to escape! Now they hide under the couch all day, and I cant get them out! They only come out at night when I am asleep to eat and use the litter box and to play. I can't get them out myself, they freak out if I try to touch them, but I need to get them socialized before it's too late. Any Advice?

Thanks,
Sara :kittyturn
Hi Sara,

You have your hands full and I imagine there's a lot of frustration and heartbreak involved at this time. When we first adopted our cat, she hid in the closet for a week. I was afraid she'd never come out.

Hopefully someone with actual experience with feral kittens will reply to your post, but I thought I'd at least share a link to a youtube video, the first in a series of three that deals with socializing feral kittens:

There are probably others as well. The video above shows a guy working with kittens kept in a large dog cage. I doubt you or most people have one of those around the house. I think the key might be to try keeping them confined to a small space (room) again. The bathroom perhaps isn't so great with all the comings and goings there which might freak them out. The video shows feeding time is also the key time to start earning trust.

Good luck! I hope you and your new kitties are able to begin bonding and building a relationship very soon. Good on you for taking on such a great endeavor!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts