Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear with me here as I give you a little background. We have two cats - one 10 year old tabby (Aurora) and a 5 year old Bengal - Archie.
A couple of months ago we decided to switch them over to raw food - home made ground. I read books, and read up online and have joined feline-nutrition.org. We started out with organic chicken and then found Hare Today - Gone Tomorrow, a raw pet food supplier and ordered ground rabbit and turkey.
I followed the recipes in one of my books that includes ground sunflower seeds and kelp powder in the supplements. Although from further reading I've decided to switch to Alnutrin supplements for future batches... We premake about 6-8 lbs of food and freeze it in daily portions.

Aurora took to the raw food immediately - she was a little overweight and since switching she's lost some weight, become more active and playful, and her coat is nice and glossy.

Archie...not so much. He has had a tough time transitioning which came to a head this morning. I transitioned him slowly with wet food mixed in and slowly weaned him off of it over the last couple of months. We got some freeze dried treats and he's been (reluctantly) eating the rabbit and turkey with the help of the treats. No wet food for a couple of weeks now. He was already slender, but he's become skinny on the raw food and has had a few hairballs which he never really had before. Yesterday he wasn't eating much of the rabbit and in the evening he threw up his food on the floor. He then ate some of it for dinner and was ok.
This morning he ate some breakfast and then threw up twice. Aurora also wasn't as excited to eat her rabbit as she usually is. I'm wondering if it went bad somehow, or if Archie is just intolerant to the rabbit.
I went out this morning and bought some wet food - he has to eat something! He ate almost a whole can of wet food this morning and acted like he hadn't eaten in weeks.

I'm concerned about Archie, and doubting my ability to provide a healthy diet for them. I don't want to go back to the commercial food, but he has to put some weight back on and manage the hairball issue.

I'm at my wit's end right now and would love some advice. Thanks for listening! :sad

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Rabbit is very low in fat, are you supplementing him with enough fat in his diet?

Also, my cat Patches had constipation a while back. She was throwing up whatever she was eating, and after speaking with my vet, vomiting is a symptom of constipation. Constipation could be from a diet too low in fat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have been adding chicken skin and thighs to the rabbit to add the fat. It could be constipation I suppose, which would explain why he's been able to eat the rabbit before.
Any suggestions for better sources of fat, or maybe just to grind it down better so it's more mixed in with the food? They're not really into chewing larger chunks yet.

He's not scary skinny - just on the thin side. He was at the vet for a check up a week or so ago and they said he's still a healthy weight at 10 lbs.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Well, I also add in fish oil, a good quality fish oil, for the omega 3's. I use Nordic Naturals Pet. It's a very healthy fat source. NOT the cod liver oil.

For my two long haired black and whites, they eat rabbit too. We raise our own here. My recipe is for 2 lbs of rabbit, a half pound of venison, and I add in 1 1/2 tsp of the fish oil, as well as their vitamin supplements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been adding in the fish oil, but I'm not sure if my recipe had me adding enough. In addition we freeze the batches so I'm not sure if that affects the oil - I've read different things. I may try adding it to the food on a daily basis rather than in advance.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I don't add mine daily, I put it in the batch, and freeze it. Never had a problem.

My cat Patches doesn't eat rabbit either, in fact, she acts quite similar to your cat. She will eat it, but within a day or so she's throwing it up. She used to eat rabbit all the time when I was buying it, but now she won't eat it, and we raise our own. The only thing I can think of is it's something in the feed the rabbits are fed. We just switched the feed we give our rabbits about 2 months ago, but we haven't processed any rabbit meat yet that would be from the new food, so I have nothing yet to compare. We switched to a locked formula feed, and there's no corn in it. So I'm anxious to see if that makes any difference.

Hopefully someone with way more knowledge about raw than I will chime in, and give you a hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.