Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Im having a little trouble with my 4 year old Siberian, Rollo (male)

My cat, Rollo, has been urinating everywhere BUT the litterbox. We changed litters, added 4 more litterboxes, took him to the doctors (he had crystals and stilll feeding him the Prescriptions Diet) let him outside.. and still everywhere but the litterbox.

So I'm in the process of re-training him and have him in a bathroom with a litterbox (new box and litter), food, water, a bed and toys.

As a reward I give him treats.. but no reward yet. He went poop in the litter box, but urinated on the floor.
I praised him of course for pooping in the litter, but wasnt sure what to do for the urinating as a punishment??

I also placed another litterbox where he urinated, in case he like separate boxes for separate duties :)

This is my last hope, for my boyfriend is fed up. If any of you have any suggestions please let them out!
Thanks for listening :)

P.S He's Neutered :)

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Bsalet said:
If any of you have any suggestions please let them out!
Welcome to CatForum and I hope I can be helpful, but I am going to be blunt ... so please accept my apologies in advance. :oops:

Cats *know* what litterboxes are for and how to use them. If your cat isn't using one, he is telling you in the ONLY way he can: something is bothering him *IN* the litterbox, so he is doing his business *outside* the litterbox.
Your cat is SHOUTING to you that he is having a problem.
You think your boyfriend is fed up? How about your kitty, who is probably experiencing pain when he urinates, therefore he associates that pain with peeing in the litterbox, (which he now avoids) and now pees ... on ... *soft* things? ... hoping it won't hurt to pee there. Nope. Still hurts to pee on soft things, so, how about ... *smooth* things? Still hurts to pee there. He *knows* it hurts to pee in the litterbox, so he won't try there again...

Your kitty needs to see the vet again and/or have a more aggressive treatment to help rid him of his painful crystals. What are you feeding him? I am NOT familiar with treating a cat with UTI/Crystals and I am also NOT familiar with what the best diet is. I know you have to avoid something(s) in the foods to help prevent the formation of crystals and you need to get more moisture into him to help him flush his systems. This means canned food mixed with water and/or removing all dry foods. Even *veterinary* dry foods.
Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge than myself will come along and tell you what the best diets are for your kitty, or you can search through the Health/Nutrition forum and see if you can find posts about what to feed a cat with urinary crystals.
Once Rollo's problems are taken care of, boyfriend shouldn't have anything to be frustrated over and everyone will be happy. :wink:
Best of luck to you and your Rollo-kitty.
heidi =^..^=

A helpful tip:
When cleaning his 'accidents', especially from fabrics, use an "enzymatic cleaner". The enzymes break down the organic matter that causes a urine (or other) odor to be left behind. We may not smell it if we clean it with other cleaners, but cats can smell so much better than we can, and if he detects hints of urine, it is a sign that tells him 'this is a bathroom area because it smells like one'. Products I like are: Nature's Miracle, Odo-Ban and Simple Solution. Soak the area, sop it up and re-soak. Let air dry. For clothing, rinse with water, soak with an enzymatic cleaner in the pee-spot, let it sit for a while (an hour or so) and then toss in the wash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!
Im feeding him "Prescriptions Diet C/D" wet food mixed with a little bit of "Purina ONE Urinary Tract Health" crunchies.
Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Heidi is bang on!
First off this is not a behavioral issue it's a health issue.
Although your kitty is on prescription food and has seen the vet he A) may not be completely over it. It can take several weeks for him not to be uncomfortable. If he was catheterized longer! B) He is having a recurrence and needs further treatment.
Either way, a follow up vet visit is in order.
If your vet hasn't put him on an ALL wet food diet (yes, even prescription diet) that should be done immediately. No treats or crunchies! Moisture in the food is the most important component in treating a UTI/crystals. As Heidi said, I would also add some spring or filtered water to the food as well. Some kitties are prone to this and, if that's the case, he should be on an all wet food or, at least, a predominantly wet food for the rest of his life. Cats who go back on dry food after having a UTI or blockage (crystals) have a much higher rate of recurrence.
Stress is also important (don't know exactly why but it is). So limit any stress he might be under, if any.
UTI's especially when crystals are present can be tricky and, often the first round of treatment doesn't do it. It'll take some time and patience. I know it's extremely upsetting to find urine around your house but, tell your boyfriend to try to keep in mind he is not doing it to misbehave or for fun, he's either in some pretty bad pain or very uncomfortable.. When he has completely recovered from the UTI AND realizes it doesn't hurt anymore, he will go back to his box.
Also, using a good enzymatic cleaner is a must. I think Nature's Miracle is the best if you have it there.
Good luck and I hope your kitty is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Victoria :)
Ill make sure to take away the crunchies and treats :( he loves those things! hehe
Ill also take him to the vet have them check on him.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I know, mine love them too.
At least for awhile though, then, if you want to risk it once he's completely healed (and even several weeks after that) you can try giving them as a treat again and see how he does. Just watch him very closely and the first sign of anything, stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts