Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all of Brenna's kittens are gone now. I don't think we can come to terms with adopting her out. I am so attached I don't think I can do it! So the tips and advice I need are on how to introduced Brenna to my 6 dogs. 3 of my dogs are good with cats. The other 3 won't be around her to much and are in training so I'm not to concerned about them. Today she met my chihuahua which is two times smaller then her. She did not hiss and sniffed noses. At one point she smacked him with no claws. And then kept her distance. I was holding him on the ground the whole time but how do I know when I finally let him go she won't hurt him. She is so much bigger then him. She has attacked almost all 6 of our dogs but that was when she still had her kittens. Will this affect the relationship now? Sorry if any confusion!

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What breeds are the other dogs? How dogs interact with cats will obviously depend on breed and individual temperament.

I had a pomeranian growing up, who still resides with my parents and their two dachshunds, and I've had my cats over there a few times with mixed success. The pomeranian was no problem. They were afraid of him at first, but he just ignored them so it was fine. The dachshunds were another matter.

If you're concerned about any of the dogs hurting Brenna, I'd introduce them on leashes first. That's what we did with my dachshunds. The cats had free run in a room and the dachshunds were kept very carefully controlled on a leash to see how they'd react to the cats. I also only introduced them one at a time, so not to overwhelm/frighten the cats.

Lunging, growling, barking, or nipping are all bad signs, and especially if you have any hunting or aggressive breeds I'd watch out for that kind of behavior. If the dog is doing that, they're reacting to the cat as something threatening or as prey. Ultimately the behavior of the dachshunds was such that I was never comfortable letting them off the leashes and decided to just keep them in separate rooms while we were over there.

As for Brenna hurting the dogs, especially the littlest one, I'm not sure there! A good warning swat is probably fine, and a good way for the dogs to learn to leave the cat alone, but I'm not sure what can be done if your cat is continuously aggressive towards them. Hopefully someone else with more experience in that matter will have some better advice!

·
Registered
426 Posts
We have neighbors who have a black lab and a terrier, and they were nervous about getting a kitty. Terriers are part of the hunting breed and they love small furry things.

They slowly introduced them and had a good hold of the dogs, and let the cat make his move. If your dogs show any sign of aggression you may have problems. My dog showed no aggression towards any of our cats. She is a Husky/Cattle Dog mix. Once the cats realized she wasnt a threat they took over. Our cats rule her and she just lets them.

Look for any signs that may be seen as aggresion from your dogs. If you dont see any let them sniff each other. Brenna may take a swipe at them, but thats ok, it will help the dogs to see she is not a toy to be played with.

Good luck and I hope you get to keep her, the bond you have is obvious!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. Three dogs that are good with cats is my chihuahua my doxie papilion mix and our English mastiff puppy. The other 3 are 2 italian mastiffs and an English mastiff. They will ultimatly be seperated from her just because they are rescue and were never socialized with cats. The rescue do have prey drive. That is why I will NOT have them near her.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks rowdyandmalley. Our 3 rescues are going through training so I'm going to see if the trainer can incorporate the cat in it. We couldn't before because she still had kittens here and was so protective of the master bedroom.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I would defintely see how the rescues behave around cats. You would hate it if Brenna some how came into contact with them without any formal training or introduction.

I have an older cat who loved my old pup (he passed in 05) but she hated any other dog or cat that came near her. We have had new pup for about 4 years now, and she loves her! Sometimes it just takes time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya we have kept them apart since we got her almost 4 months ago. Brenna just lounges in our room and when the dogs are away in there crates or outside Brenna comes out. Brenna is never put in a situation that she can be harmed. My big dogs are always on leashed around new animals. :) I'm a very paranoid protective person :/ sometimes it takes a toll on me

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope she is happy here! She is more relaxed with all the kittens gone. I miss then but in a way releived they have homes. It's very stressful with 6 dogs and at the time 7 cats. Brenna is coming to work with me so I can shave her. I can't stand the sneezing anymore I'm so allergic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts