Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I haven't been active on this forum for quite a while, but I have returned looking for some advice! A little background on me and my fur-babies...
My male cat Onyx has been with me for about 5 years now, and he is healthy as can be. He eats at a proper pace and a proper amount. He has a little bit of a saggy pooch to his belly, but it's just skin, not fat. His coat is shiny, he runs and jumps all over the place, and he has the body shape of a normal, healthy cat.
My female cat Lily has been with me for just about 2 years now. She is obese, and she came to me that way after some pretty severe neglect during her early life. She is declawed (by the ignorant jerks who had her before), and as a result, she is not as active as my male cat. Food is her love language. She eats anything and everything that is put down, whether it is in her bowl or her brother's bowl, even going so far as to chase him away so she can have what he has. And she horks it all down so quickly, it's hard to stop her.
What I've tried so far:
- feeding smaller amounts (doesn't seem to be helping, she steals Onyx's food)
- switching to a lower calorie food (she is intolerant of chicken, didn't work)
- feeding them separately (doesn't work since my male cat is a grazer while she is not and I work 10 hrs a day)
- extra play time (doesn't do much, she can't really run and play for more than about 30 seconds before she flops)
- walks (doesn't work, she is terrified of the outside and hates her harness)

So now I am looking to try a slow-feeder bowl for her, but I am having trouble finding something that will work for a cat. I did purchase a slow-feeder dog bowl at a pet store today, but it was designed for dogs, so she cannot seem to reach her food at all. When I search online for a slow feeder bowl, they are all designed for dogs, and the setup makes it difficult for a cat to get ANY food out of them. Does anyone have any suggestions for slow-feeder bowls or suggestions in general to help with her weight management? I feel horrible, because it has gotten to the point where she cannot clean her behind, so I have to clean it for her with unscented baby wipes. She recently had to have her anal glands expressed, and now she smells HORRIBLE. I really want to get this figured out so I can get her weight down and she can begin properly cleaning herself again. She fights me every time I do it...

Any advice is welcome!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Can you find a cat-sized puzzle feeder? You put the pieces of kibble inside and the cat has to play with it and roll it around to get food out. Also, wet (canned) food tends to be less calorie dense than dry kibble, which some cats seem to almost inhale. (Our male cat just swallows it without chewing, then barfs it up later.)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little cautious about something that has the potential to spread cat food all over my apartment. I already have an ant problem during warm weather, and I feel like that's inviting a pest problem to spread uncontrollably.
The good news is, both my kitties get a healthy mix of wet and dry both. Generally, they get canned Tiki brand 3-4x per week and dry Natural Balance on the days they don't get Tiki. Lily likes both kinds of food, she is not picky, but I don't have the budget to feed both of them solely wet food. Sorry, but I'm a single girl living by herself with no roommate. My finances are limited.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts