Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a year old boder collie mix and four of our nine cats are now living in the basement. They are so scared of him that they will not come upstairs at all and the dog has been here for almost 3 weeks now. I am worried that they will never adjust to him. The dog did chase the cats a bit at first, but now he just pretty much ignores them, so I am not sure why they are so scared. Any suggestions would be great.

Melissa

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure that the initial chasing gave the cats a good fright 8O and it may take them quite some time to realize that they are safe. You might consider crating the dog in the living area occasionally and bringing the unwilling cats up from the basement to enjoy some safe lap and house time. They may take the opportunity to check out the interloper in his confinement and see that he is not a threat. You may also consider using baby gates to give the cats some areas of the house that are dog-free zones, at least until everyone is settled in again.

I suspect that a generous dose of time, a little gentle encouragement, and staging some safe encounters will turn the tide. Needless to say, any doggy attempts to play with cats should be strictly discouraged. My cat, of course is bold as brass and I have to make sure HE doesn't pick on the dogs, so I am not speaking from vast experience :) .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to block off the kitchen so the dog could not get in there. The cats have actually been out of the basement, hanging out in the kitchen, so that has helped a great deal. The dog also gets told a very stern "NO" anytime he does try to "play" with them. I am encouraged that they are finally starting to wonder up out of hiding, hopefully things will soon be back to normal.

Melissa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts