Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed Charlie cat 3/4 cub per food every day, pouring it in her dish in the morning at 9am. Every morning, she gets way too excited about her food, eats too quickly, and vomits within a few minutes of eating. If I slowly feed her a little bit at a time, she calms down her pace and doesn't vomit at all. I wouldn't mind doing this daily, but some days I am at class all day and can't watch over kitty's eating.

Basically, I want to devise a contraption that will do this automatically without spending the $$ for one at the store. Any advice?

·
Banned
410 Posts
Is your kitty overweight? I have heard that most vets recommend free feeding. If you leave food out for her at all times, maybe she won't get so excited as to inhale her food and throw up. My cat (Kitty) used to do that when I fed him soft food. Now that he eats dry food and it is available for him to eat whenever he wants it, he doesn't inhale it like that anymore.

By the way, do you feed her soft or dry or both? Dry food is much better to keep their teeth clean--that is one of the main reasons that I switched Kitty to dry food.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kittygirl04 said:
I just noticed that you were new here--Welcome to the Cat Forum, fellow Buckeye!!!
Why thank you! Where in the state are you living? I just moved from Napoleon (Near Bowling Green) to Pittsburgh (near Pittsburgh) to Cincinnati, where I will be for at least another 2 years.

Anyhow, about kitty. She was overweight when I got her about 2 months ago and I have been portion-controlling ever since. She has the frame to be about 12 pounds, but weighed 16 when I got her. Right now, she is down to about 14 pounds. Unfortunately, I live in a small apartment so there is little chance for exercise.

·
Banned
410 Posts
sickmiller said:
kittygirl04 said:
I just noticed that you were new here--Welcome to the Cat Forum, fellow Buckeye!!!
Why thank you! Where in the state are you living? I just moved from Napoleon (Near Bowling Green) to Pittsburgh (near Pittsburgh) to Cincinnati, where I will be for at least another 2 years.
I live in Columbus. I guess it's ok here...for now.

Do you have many toys for Charlie? I try to exercise my cats with the fishing pole toy. They are all extremely lazy, but when I get the fishing pole toy out--they all go crazy! Yoda, one of my cats, was real chubby--the vet had her on Science Diet--I think it made her fatter. The inside of the bag was real greasy. I switched her to Nutro and Natural Balance--she seems to be losing weight. I don't really have any other suggestions for you besides toys and weight management food. Sorry. :?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kittygirl04 said:
sickmiller said:
kittygirl04 said:

Do you have many toys for Charlie? I try to exercise my cats with the fishing pole toy. They are all extremely lazy, but when I get the fishing pole toy out--they all go crazy! Yoda, one of my cats, was real chubby--the vet had her on Science Diet--I think it made her fatter. The inside of the bag was real greasy. I switched her to Nutro and Natural Balance--she seems to be losing weight. I don't really have any other suggestions for you besides toys and weight management food. Sorry. :?
Columbus seems to be a good city. Probably the most liberal in Ohio, which would be okay with me. Cincinnati is ultra-conservative with no interest in controlling sprawl. Anyhow, I have a little fishing pole thing that Charlie really likes, and I think overall she is getting healthier (i've had her for a couple months) compared to when I got her. If I feed her slowly in the morning, the vomitting seems to curtail, so we should be okay.

Happy halloween!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I dont have overweight cats right now but I will tell you that I have one cat Sugar, I used to feed them certain amounts 3 times a day and didnt leave food out. Every morning I would feed them since I sleep like 8 or more hours and she would throw up. It was also b/c of the brand probably but she would garf it down. Basically she doesnt throw up anymore b/c I found out she was allergic to foods that I was feeding her and secondly I leave food out all the time. She will eat canned food like crazy but so does my Twinkie and neither throw that back up.

I basically think it would be good if you fed them a high quality diet food for your cat where you can perhaps leave it out and let the cat nibble all throughout the day. Hope that works if not Good Luck! :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
sickmiller said:
kittygirl04 said:
sickmiller said:
kittygirl04 said:

Columbus seems to be a good city. Probably the most liberal in Ohio, which would be okay with me. Cincinnati is ultra-conservative with no interest in controlling sprawl. Anyhow, I have a little fishing pole thing that Charlie really likes, and I think overall she is getting healthier (i've had her for a couple months) compared to when I got her. If I feed her slowly in the morning, the vomitting seems to curtail, so we should be okay.

Happy halloween!
You two are funny! Are we learning about infinity? :lol: I live near Pittsburgh, you know. You could have given me a holler! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You two are funny! Are we learning about infinity? :lol: I live near Pittsburgh, you know. You could have given me a holler! :)
:) Where in Pittsburgh are you? One of my favorite things about pittsburgh is the how there isn't crazy over-development outside of the city (sprawl). Anyhow, it is a really great city, though there seem to be some serious traffic congestion issues around downtown (the main artery is only 4 lanes!). I lived in the Point Breeze / Squirrel Hill Area in an old historic house...there are some gorgeous houses around there.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that, but I got charlie from the Animal Rescue League in Pittsburgh. A really great organization.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
sickmiller, I live near Monroeville, and taught at a school for children with special needs in Squirrel Hill. I also got a kitten from the shelter on Hamilton Ave.-near your old home.

Yes, the parkway is terribly inadequate for rush hour traffic, but the sites and scenes in downtown Pittsburgh are worth it. It's a beautiful city. Here's a reminder:

Cats love paper bags, as I'm sure you know, and one of mine loves to retrieve a rolled up strip of cardboard. The laser toy sounds like fun, but don't shine it in kitty's eyes!

·
Banned
410 Posts
Jeanie--my cats go CRAZY for the laser! If I shine it on their paws--they will pick up their foot and bite at the little red dot, like they are trying to get it off! It's so funny! Sometimes if I see a stray cat outside, I'll stand in the kitchen window and shine it outside and watch them play. They will run in circles trying to catch it. Those outdoor kitties seem to have alot more energy to play than my lazy cats! My cats usually give up after 15 minutes and decide to lay down. Have you ever tried the laser, Jeanie? My cats still like the feather fishing pole the best--at least that toy gives them something they can actually catch! :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeanie said:
sickmiller, I live near Monroeville, and taught at a school for children with special needs in Squirrel Hill. I also got a kitten from the shelter on Hamilton Ave.-near your old home.

Yes, the parkway is terribly inadequate for rush hour traffic, but the sites and scenes in downtown Pittsburgh are worth it. It's a beautiful city. Here's a reminder:

Cats love paper bags, as I'm sure you know, and one of mine loves to retrieve a rolled up strip of cardboard. The laser toy sounds like fun, but don't shine it in kitty's eyes!
that's a good idea, i might have to get one of those!
as for pittsburgh, i would LOVE to move back there. I love all the little neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, they give the city so much character. If you know anyone on local city or regional or county planning boards, let me know, and maybe i'll move back :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Kittygirl

I got to say one thing, laserlight is the best invention. My cats are lazy but surprisingly they are very smart when it comes to pointing the laser light at the other cat or their paws. Sugar won't attack Twinkie and vice versa. They will not do anything like they know its not really there. Plus Sugar used to be so active and now she will not pant or run and just wait for the light to come to her, like Twinkie. If I shine the light on my bf, Twinkie will not even go touch him since he is probably thinking he can catch him and kill him hehe :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts