Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest cat, Sparky, is sick.

He's had blood tests that show his kidney functions are perfect, but his White cell count is high, indicating infection somewhere. He's on antibiotics now, but underneath his big fur coat, he's just skin and bone :(

Any suggestions on what I can feed him to bulk him up? He has no appetite issues, but he's only been eating small mouthfuls and acts like he's never seen food.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
can you get something like Nutrical there? That's what we always used for sickly puppies and ailing dogs.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
When I get very thin fosters we give them baby food meats. They like the turkey, chicken and ham. When I got my first kitten he was so underweight we had to wait to neuter him till he put on a few pounds. I offered him Trader Joes organic goats milk. That helped. Dont offer cats the canned goats milk, they dont like it. Vets sell a soft food packed with neutrician and calories it is called A/D. We also offer cooked chicken to them. Sardines are an idea also.

I hope you find out what is the source of the high white blood cell count. Best of luck to bring your kitty back to health.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

I know I don't really talk about Sparks much on here - he's 12 years old, and I always thought of him as a big wooly bear cat.... Until I got the two Norwegian kittens, now he just looks tiny.

In hate that he's gotten so sick, and feel bad for not noticing sooner :( he's such an independent cat, has never knowingly sat on a lap and refuses to be cuddled or handled. He also has to have his food piled up into a pyramid shape before he'll eat.

He's currently being fed separately from the Norwegian boys, so we can monitor exactly how much he eats, and he has to see the vet again next week to monitor his weight.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, we've had great news here - the anti biotics seem to have cleared up whatever the infection was - his liver and kidneys are functioning perfectly, and in the last week, Spark has put on 0.7 pounds. We still have a long way to go, he's too bony for my liking, but we're going in the right direction. He's much more lively, more like his old self.

Alas, while we're feeding him lots of yumminess, the poor old man has to eat with a 16 pound Norwegian grey shadow at either side, closing in like the walls in an Indiana Jones movie :D

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Ah, we've had great news here - the anti biotics seem to have cleared up whatever the infection was - his liver and kidneys are functioning perfectly, and in the last week, Spark has put on 0.7 pounds. We still have a long way to go, he's too bony for my liking, but we're going in the right direction. He's much more lively, more like his old self.

Alas, while we're feeding him lots of yumminess, the poor old man has to eat with a 16 pound Norwegian grey shadow at either side, closing in like the walls in an Indiana Jones movie :D
You might want to feed him separately from the 2 chow hounds until he's back to a more robust weight.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might want to feed him separately from the 2 chow hounds until he's back to a more robust weight.
Yep, that's the plan. For such big cats, they move like freakin' ninjas.... I've perfected the one handed food serve whilst scooping up a double helping of fatty grey-puss :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts