Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I brought my 15 week old kitten to the vet yesterday for his second set of shots.....so this time he got three needles (last time he only got 2), rabies was the extra needle this time. He was VERY well behaved like usual and everything seemed fine. The vet noticed some crusties in his eyes and nose and told me he had a minor virus infection but to just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse to bring him back. Well, at about 11pm he was DEAD tired (I know, it was from the needles and SOOO much playing yesterday) but he was also shaking (like shivering) too. It was a cooler night, but any healthy person or animal probably wouldn't shiver cause there was just a light breeze coming in the window. I called the emergency vet line and they told me just to keep an eye on him as shivering is not a side effect from the needles. I put him on my lap with a wool blanket and he proceeded to fall right to sleep and stopped shivering.

He seems ok this morning, not AS crazy as he usually is but he isn't shivering. There was, however, a lot of crust in his eyes this morning. We are going away for the day today so he will get to sleep all day.......I am making sure the house stays warm (not that it's cold outside at all!!!) and that he isn't exposed to any drafts.

is this something to worry about?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know that shaking also means that they could have a fever, i would take his temperature if i were u. ( u never know) I'm surprised that the emergency vet didn't say this to you? Hope that he's ok!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well he seems ok toinght. Just tired still. I think he will be ok, but that scared me last night when he was shivering! As soon as he was wrapped up and sleeping though he stopped shivering.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Maleke, make sure he isn't lethargic for much longer. If he is, take his temp. You can get a digital thermometer for very cheap and the drug store. I'd do it just to be safe, anyway. Mild to moderate fever isn't a serious condition but it can get worse. If he has a fever, all he'll need is some fluids under his skin to ensure that he's hydrated. (You can also check to make sure he is hydrated by pulling up the skin between his ears. If it "bounces" back down within a second, he is hydrated. If it takes longer, he is dehydrated and could use those fluids).

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. He is totally fine now....I guess it was just a reaction to the needles. I'm kind of annoyed that my vet didn't tell me that that might happen, I was FREAKING out!!!! But at least I'll know for next time if that happens again.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yip. The lethargy is usually a sign of fever. Psi has had 2 now - one from calicivirus and one from being injured. We keep our thermometer handy so we can take his temperature whenever he acts out of the ordinary. I'm glad he is well again though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts