Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kitten. Shes maybe 4 months old at the most. She has been sleeping in the top of our outside storage building all day today. I finally decided to get her down and see what is the matter with her. I looked at her and noticed that her throat and bottom half of her face was swollan. I figured maybe she had been stung by a bee like her brother had been earlier this year. So we gave her some benadryl mixed with water to see if it would help the swelling go down. Well as soon as we put it in her mouth, she started foaming at the mouth. She isnt acting weird or anything. She just won't eat, won't drink anything. And everytime we feed her water through a dropper she starts foaming at the mouth. We don't know if it is rabies, or what. If any of you has any information. Please contact me at [email protected] ASAP. We are taking her to the vet, we really don't want them to behead her if she doesn't have rabies. But I'm concerned that if she does have rabies, she scratched me while giving her water.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Altho you have already said, get her to the vet right now.
We dont have rabies here and im afraid I know nothing about it, or its signs and symptoms.

If she is not taking water that is serious as she will quickly become dehydrated. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A swollen face and throat sounds like a huge abscess. Get her to the vet without delay. If she has gotten to the point where she won't eat or drink, this is an emergency!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The foam is probably a reaction to the horrid taste of the benadryl. She doesn't have any other symptoms of rabies. But she needs to see the vet immediately!

Good luck!
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts