Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how in the world do you keep a 5 month old kitten from being active? - For a week they told me!

And what about lickinng his sutures? Do you really keep a cone on him for 24/7 for a week?He's already jumping up on the couch.

Help. What did all of you do?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Well, my cats are female, which is a bit different. But my daughter has a male cat and she just let him do what he wanted after he was neutered. I'm surprised your vet told you to keep your little guy inactive for a week. I don't see any need for that. Just let him play.

As for sutures...a typical neuter procedure doesn't require skin sutures, since the scrotal skin closes the incision itself. There might be a small internal suture, but there shouldn't be any external sutures. External sutures arise only in spays (females). So, in the case of a male cat, I don't see any need for a cone either.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The people at the clinic told me to keep Apollo as inactive as I could for a few days. Psssshhh.. Please. He was stumbling around like a drunkard an hour after we got him home. He didn't bother his sutures much. When he did, I just distracted him. He was jumping all over the place.. From the floor to the counter, back and forth. I tried my hardest to keep him still but.. He's a stubborn bugger. He was absolutely fine afterwards, with no complications, even after him jumping around and being crazy. So.. I don't think you have much to worry about :)

Keep an eye out for signs of infection, per usual. He'll be fine!

·
Registered
474 Posts
after cody was neutered he was running up and down the stairs looking for aster (she was spayed the same day and confined to the bedroom). he was licking a little but i also tried to keep him distracted. the vet said if the licking is excessive to call, but he was eating and using the litterbox that night.

hoping for all the best!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Helpful to know this in advance as my little Milky is getting neutered at the end of the month! Really wasn't sure what to be expecting/doing! Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When we got home he was pretty active getting up on the couch. he ate well, though I just gave him a little.

They didn't give me a collar as they said he doesn't seem to be messing with it. Tonight he's licking around the area but not too much AT the site. I can watch this evening to see if he's messing with the site.

They said he shouldn't be licking it AT ALL, and that I should only put the collar on if I can't be around to make sure he's not licking at the sutures. I have a collar and am wondering if I should put it on him when I leave for work tomorrow? - I hat that idea, though I'm sure he's not too active when I'm at work

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's been licking at it, so on advice of the vet I put the cone on.

It's breaking my heart to see him fumbling around with the cone on. Every step he takes looks like it takes him so much effort.

Someone please tell me it get's better and he'll adjust in a day or so.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Don't worry, it gets better and he'll adjust :)

I was lucky, none of mine had to wear the cone, they licked a bit, but not enough to worry about. Make sure he can get to his food and water with it on, sometimes they can't quite negotiate that lol.

He'll be back to normal soon, Logan was his playful self within 24 hours. Maybe take the cone off tomorrow night and see if he still licks too much, he may be passed that stage of healing and can leave it alone. They look so sad and miserable with the cone on lol...but it's for their own good :)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
When Sasha was neutered, he could not leave the wound alone. I had the cone on for almost 2 weeks. They do adjust and they learn to live with it, but it's hard for them to clean themselves so I did allow him to eat and groom for a bit each day without it. I would wash the cone and then replace it.

I know it pulls at your heartstrings, but if he's messing with the sutures or wound, then it's better to prevent an infection than have to deal with a bad one later. Lastly, I know it's terrible, but they DO look SO DARNED cute with that thing on:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Waffles was neutered last week, the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. I was told to keep him calm for 24 hours, afterwards, let him do his thing, just watch for excessive licking. We had no problems, but keeping him calm was impossible. No harm done though, we just kept an eye on the incisions. He's healed up nicely.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can tell he is not happy with the cone. He doesn't purr when I pet him. and he almost always purrs when I pet him

·
Registered
207 Posts
My Ginfis was spayed also on 28th of November. We are going to take out stitches next Monday.
I know it is different by females, but my cat jumped on the table already in the evening the day of her surgery and was fussing and playing around as usually. My vet even told me that maybe it will not be necesasary to come to take out stitches because she will do it by herself at certain poitn of time. Ginfis licked her wound for 1-2 days, but after she let it alone. So..she is still stitched, so we have to go with her to vet on Monday.
What I did is that I did not play with her first days after the surgery, so she wasn't as crazy.
she wasnt supposed to go downstairs or upstaris, but....well....it's a cat! You cannot say NO! The problem is that we have 2 floor apartment, and she follows us everywhere..so upstairs, downstairs, upstairs, downstairs...like 100 times per day :D

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I take the cone off while he's eating so he can have a little break from it. But shortly after he starts licking, not intensely, just regular cleaning. But he is going over the surgical sites (you know, there's 2 of them :mrgreen:) so I put the cone back on.

I guess it's best take precautions. If I'm not going to follow his vet's advice why bother going to him?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm confused about why there are stitches? Never known a vet to suture a cat neuter? Activity shouldn't be a problem either after the first 24 hours, its just a surface, skin laceration and isn't even in an area that would be stressed by movement. As for licking. After the first 3 days there isn't really anything he can do to hurt anything. I've never had to have a cat in a cone post neuter, but I suppose you can never be too careful.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm confused about why there are stitches? Never known a vet to suture a cat neuter? Activity shouldn't be a problem either after the first 24 hours, its just a surface, skin laceration and isn't even in an area that would be stressed by movement. As for licking. After the first 3 days there isn't really anything he can do to hurt anything. I've never had to have a cat in a cone post neuter, but I suppose you can never be too careful.

*shrug*, I dunno. They said there are stitches that will dissolve in 1-2 weeks and that licking them will cause them to dissolve too soon.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I got Sasha neutered at the Humane Society a few months ago, and they do use stitches for neuters and they dissolve within 7-10 days. I also got pain medication for the first 3 days and a cone if he began disturbing the sutures, which he did.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got Sasha neutered at the Humane Society a few months ago, and they do use stitches for neuters and they dissolve within 7-10 days. I also got pain medication for the first 3 days and a cone if he began disturbing the sutures, which he did.
I'll put the cone on (Toby, not me) if I'm away or not able to watch him.

When it is on he slinks around slow and lethergic, and has to be near me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts