Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was worrying so much about getting Milky neutered before as I had read so many stories about people's cats' personalities changing etc. :sad Milky has always been very playful, sometimes naughty yet can also be very sweet and lovable, so I was afraid that if we got him neutered, he'd become either extremes of depressed or more mischievous than ever before. :-?

Anyway, so he turned 9 months at the end of Dec and we thought it was time to bring him in for the op. A colleague of mine recommended an excellent vet to me who is very close to where we live. The vet was extremely thorough going through the initial checkup and explained the procedure, difference between getting/not getting stitches etc. Both the vet and the assistants were very reassuring. We were a bit nervous when told about the anesthetic and that we'd have to sign a disclaimer. The assistant called us after the short operation to tell us that all went well and that he was ok.

So he's finally neutered and I'm glad to say that he's still as playful as ever. He still gets up to all sorts of no good every now and again, but he's definitely the same little Milky as before the operation! :kittyturn So anyone out there who is unsure of whether or not to get your cats neutered/spayed... go for it! You'll have a happy, healthier cat! :wink

·
Registered
214 Posts
They will spray and hump things, it's not pleasant for them or you. Get them fixed. I've never had a problem with any of the cats I've had in my life after they've been fixed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ginfis was spayed at the end of November 2011. She was 7 months old. Her personality didn’t change at all. She is still the same Ginfis as she was before and I am happy that I made this decision and got her spayed. She is still very playful and lovely kitten. I love her to pieces!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My cats will never get pregnant as they are house cats
That is what a lot of people say, right before their cats go into heat and make the "Grand Escape". No matter how careful you are, remember there are other people in your house and sometimes your sight is blocked and your hands full.

I have had all my cats fixed once I was out on my own and they were MY cats. I have rarely seen a personality change, except in the case of aggression lessening in hormonal cats. I have never had a cat get fat and lazy either from it, which happens to be the main reason people give for not doing it. Right before "She is indoors and won't ever be let out"

You will be happier with it done.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't notice any personality change in my girls after spay. Meatball seems to get a better appetite, but that could attribute to her baby teeth being pulled off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found this:

ASPCA | Spay-Neuter

What Are the Health Benefits of Spaying and Neutering?

Spayed cats are less likely to develop breast cancer and will not be at risk for ovarian or uterine cancer, while neutered males will not get testicular cancer. By neutering male cats, you also reduce the risk of injury and transmission of disease, since intact males have a natural instinct to roam and get into fights with other cats, who may have contagious diseases or parasites.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I don't know about Nebbie or Xanthe, as they were adopted as adults already fixed.

Paizly became a little more calm and snuggly (now at the age of 10, total lap cat!)

Zinny is still plenty rambunctious.

Disco also got more snuggly, but still active (was an outside/feral, but did seem to let me handle her more without fuss, and would do the ankle-winding thing when I went out to feed every morning).

Zazzle won't let me near her. I guess she thinks I'll take her back to get more surgery, if I catch her again! LOL

Rune I haven't seen in a good year. Tangelo is not fixed yet, since he won't go in the trap :fust:cussing

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
My cats will never get pregnant as they are house cats -
A female cat in heat will do amazing feats of awesomeness to escape and get bred.

Not to mention that unspayed there is a higher risk of reproductive diseases and cancer.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get your cats spayed/neutered. They'll live a healthier life and you don't have to worry about them ever getting pregnant if they're girls. Milky hasn't been in heat before so I don't know about spraying all over the place... Hope he won't do it if he hasn't done it before....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts