Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Dylan is being neutered on Monday and I haven't a clue where to start with it all. I knida know surgically what they do but is there anything I should expect after or anything I should ask vet??

He is also being microchipped at same time...

As I say, clueless! lol

Hayley x x

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Well I have three females that have been spayed so I can share my experience from a "female" view. Hopefully someone else can share the "male" view.

My first cat took a while to wake up after the surgery...she's the runt of her litter and takes things harder than my other two cats (i.e. throws up easier, more sensitive to stuff). Within a few days she was back to normal.

My second cat come home on time but she was OUT for the next two days. Poor thing only left her bed to eat and use the bathroom - she had extremely watery eyes and just looked miserable. She slowly got back to how she was - it took her a bit longer than my first.

My third woke up fine and was in pain and stayed away from us for a day - she layed in bed and just wanted to keep to herself, which was fine. She recovered as quickly as my first.

You'll be given pain medication to feed him. I suggest getting a small glob of wet food or a piece of tuna and put it inside, and then feed it to him. Force feeding it down their throat just makes them more irritated than they already are and they'll remember it for the next time you try to do it.

Don't be surprised if he keeps to himself or doesn't sleep with you at night (if he normally does). It took a few days for our cats to return to their normal activities. I know your guy will be in some pain, but he may bounce back a bit quicker because his is a minor surgery than for a female.

If you have a high litter box, maybe put something he can use as a step into it. I did it for my girls so that they didn't have to stretch as much.

Follow all orders your vet gives you - watch for swelling/bleeding around the surgery site.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, I've had both my boys neutered within the last 3 months, and having once been a vet tech that assisted in neuters on a daily basis (albiet a lifetime ago), I can tell you not to worry. It's a very simple procedure that is minimally invasive. Neither of my boys even had stitches! They were in and out of the vet's office in the same day, and they went home with some oral liquid pain medication. I was told to look out for any leakage, and to make sure they didn't lick themselves. Also, I was told to limit their activity, which was impossible unless I separated the two, and that was not an option. Well, when I got each of them home, nobody would have known what they just had been through because they were both perfectly normal. Ate fine, went to the bathroom fine, chased each other around the house, and paid absolutely no attention to "that area" on them.

I wouldn't be too worried, it's so simple and basic, nothing to be concerned with. Just be sure to take away food and water the night before, or your little guy could have serious problems with the anesthesia.

My biggest problem was my own guilt for doing that to them in the first place. :cry:

Just my two cents. Good luck!

katsprat

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
It sure does sound that way. I didn't have any experience with it because my cats have alrways been girls. But, it sounds pretty minimal in terms of the actual procedure and the recovery.

I'll still be thinking of him though! :wink:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've had males and females fixed... it's definitely MUCH easier with the guys. They're back the same day and back to normal pretty much right away. Nothing to worry about... although... one of ours started hallucenating (sp?) that night because the drugs they gave him were mild hallucenogens... but he was ok the next morning. It was very sad, but kinda funny... he would just start swatting at the air. So don't get too concerned if your kitty does that.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Neutering is basically an "external" procedure while spaying is major abdominal surgery. Nonetheless, I have seen a lot of male cats act far more insulted than females! :oops:

Your basic neuter takes less than 2 minutes and there are no stitches. I refer to it as "snip snip"--although I heard an even better description today from a client: "picking his pockets"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts