Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you may remember that I got a Blue Mitted Ragdoll last year named Archie.

I already had a Ragdoll and desperately wanted a buddy for him - that's when I Archie entered my life.

When he turned 3 months old, he was all set for adoption. He went to 2 families and was returned within a week by each of those families. Archie was born with a severe set of kinks in is tail...and because of this, he doesn't have much control over his tail. Personally, I think it looks cute and it gives him character - but it also meant that he pooped on it constantly. He had the following against him:

He was just a clumsy kitten, so learning the litter box was already a task.

He has little control over his tail, so learning to maneuver it was also a task.

Can we say kitten diarrhea at the drop of a hat? Anyone that has raised a cat from a kitten knows that a kitten can get diarrhea if the wind blows the wrong way.

All of those things meant that he was always pooping on his tail. It would be so bad that I had to rinse him off multiple times a day and also do rounds to clean my walls, floors, couches, ect.

Now, it's been about 6 months since I adopted Archie. His tail is still an obstacle...but since it's grown at the base a bit and his stomach has matured more, he's down to pooping on his tail maybe once every 2 weeks.

I am so glad that I toughed it out and gave him the chance that he deserved. The others missed out on having a really wonderful and quirky cat. He'll even play fetch with me!

Later, I learned that he actually shares the same dad as my other Raggie...so it was fate for me to have him.

The moral of my story is that sometimes the most wonderful things can seem discouraging in the beginning. You just have to put in the work and give it a chance - you may just be wonderfully surprised by the results! :)

I've attached a few photos of Archie. The first one is Mr. Archie, lounging on his back. You can kind of get a good idea of how his tail is in the photo - you can't see the kinks too well, but you can see how small it is compared to his body. The second photo, they're lounging on my balcony and in the third, they just had catnip off of the eclair lid (official catnip plate).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
great story!

and great reminder to us all that the more hard work that goes into something, the more rewarding the result is in the end! archie is a doll. i'll bet he knows how hard you worked for him and he loves you even more for it.

i love those pictures. and i LOVE the official catnip plate, too! i have a sudden craving for an eclair now.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Dorky, you're an angel for having done this, I'm very moved by your story. Indeed, never give up on a "problem" cat! They often turn out to be the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts