Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

someone tell me it isn't happening!! I finished book one last night, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone... and woke up first thing and zoomed up to the store to get the second book, this is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure somewhere in my past I swore up and down that I would never read these books. However, the other day, desperate for a good read, I went out to the bookstore to find a good mystery. The bookstore was closed, so I went to a large retail store and saw Harry's book there, cheap, like $5.00 a piece. So I grabbed the first one and thought "ah heck, if I hate it, it's only $5.00"... well that was Sunday!!, and it's now Saturday, and I'm done with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, LOL!!

It was a great book!! My boyfriend and family are baffled, LOL!!... quoting my sister "I would never think of you as a Harry Potter person, you surprised me with that one! Enjoy your book! I hear they are very addictive, too!"... yes sister, they are addictive, LOL!!

So I'm going out of town later this week through the weekend weekend and I bought book#2 and book#3 for my trip!!

This is crazy!! The Harry character is just out of this world... what great writing.

So, anyone else read these books?? No spoilers please, LOL!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
:D

Yep, I've read them, and the books just keep getting better, in my opinion. It's really enjoyable to watch the kids 'grow up', and the books evolve and progress as well.

Glad you gave them a shot!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aphrodeia said:

Yep, I've read them, and the books just keep getting better, in my opinion. It's really enjoyable to watch the kids 'grow up', and the books evolve and progress as well.

thanks!!, yeah I had heard the books get better, especially the writing. A lady in line at the store today told me after this I should consider reading "Lord of the Rings!!", now that I will be shocked if I like... but after this surprise, I think I'll try it. Have you read those books??

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Big HP fan here!!!
You've got it good. I've had to wait a year for every new book since the 4th one. You can just zip through 1-6 if you like!!! But then you'll know the pain of waiting for the last one!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
jazzo said:
aphrodeia said:

thanks!!, yeah I had heard the books get better, especially the writing. A lady in line at the store today told me after this I should consider reading "Lord of the Rings!!", now that I will be shocked if I like... but after this surprise, I think I'll try it. Have you read those books??
I've tried reading "Lord of the Rings", and I confess that it was too dense and dry for me. Tolkein is a brilliant storyteller, but his background is largely as a historian and linguist. The intricacy of his world and races is second to none, and his landscapes are stunning, but I wasn't as compelled as I'd hoped I would be. My husband is appalled that I didn't get into it. I'm such a disappointment to him. ;)

If you find yourself at all interested in fantasy, I would recommend getting into something lighter, like the Riftwar saga (begins with a book called "Magician") by Raymond Feist, or the Shannara series (begins with "Sword of Shannara"), by Terry Brooks. Both of those authors are very accomplished in the genre, but the reading isn't so thick. Feist is a big favorite of mine.

But if you really dig the dense, darker writing, by all means, go with "Lord of the Rings"! It might be just your style.

·
Banned
316 Posts
I just started reading them a few weeks ago as well.

And I'm on the fourth book today! I LOVE them! They are faboo! Really really enjoyable.

And see.....I LOVED the movies....never knew why I didn't read the books. So I started and I can't put them down!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
"Lord of the Rings", oh yeah, I slogged thru the whole trilogy in my twenties, just to see if I could do it. I didn't enjoy one minute of it either. It was way too much like........work.

I've read the first 2 Harry Potters & they were fun (lite). I'll have to remember to go to the library & get the 3rd one.

I remember reading the "Wizard of OZ" in my early adulthood & was thoroughly amazed at just how good it was. Just 'cause you've seen the Judy Garland movie doesn't mean you know the whole story. The books are always waaaaay better.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
pookie769 said:
I remember reading the "Wizard of OZ" in my early adulthood & was thoroughly amazed at just how good it was. Just 'cause you've seen the Judy Garland movie doesn't mean you know the whole story. The books are always waaaaay better.
I've never read the book, but I understand that it was originally written as a satire on American society and capitalism. I'd have to look up all the symbology again, because I can't remember it, but it was just fascinating to hear about back in school. Almost made me want to go read it. :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
When I saw the news (many years ago) a bout this JK Rawlings and her success about her book about a boy called Harry Potter I had to get a copy. So I bought it, read it in a translated verison (to Swedish) and I thought "Hey, this is good, bet it's even better in English"), so I picked up the book and then the second book that just had come out in English and since then I've been a Harry Potter fan and have had the agony like everyone else to wait for book 3, book 4, book 5 and book 6. Now I'm dying to know what will happen in book 7.

Enjoy your read, it'll just get better and better and in my view, the more you read the more you realize it's pretty much adult books.... at least I wouldn't want to get these books to kids in the same age as Harry. But if you read them over a 10 year time, yeah, that'll work better.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
GREAT books! When the first one came out there were a bunch of religious groups against it because of the magic and stuff..so I picked it up to read to see what the fuss was all about. Now me, my boyfriend, and my sister are hooked.

They're great books and they get better as you go along -- enjoy!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
HOORAY! I am so glad to hear stories of nay-sayers who give it a chance and are pleasantly suprised! HP suffers from overhype, where if so many people love it, then it can't be any good, right?

I am so happy to hear that we have a new fan! Oh just wait, you will be amongst us for Book 7 when we are all foaming at the mouth waiting to see what happens!! :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I didn't think I would like the books much, but once you start reading them you can't stop. So I found myself waiting in line to get the 6th book at midnight of the release! The books get better each release

1 - 12 of 12 Posts