Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new, 8 month old bengal kitten who I adopted with my wife. My wife is mildly allergic to cats in general but seems to have an easier time with this cat. However, we have determined ot make the bedroom of the house the only "off limits" room to the cat.

The problem is that when we retire for the night, she "cries" up and down the main hallway. I tried sleeping on the couch to help her deal with her perceived lonliness, but after a couple of minutes she reverts to her crying.

Is this just normal new kitten behavior: dealing with new owners, a new home and no more contat from her siblings? Is there anything I can do to help her through this transition period?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
755 Posts
How long have you had your new kitten? The meowing could be that she misses her siblings, but it also could be that she just feels alone when you’re sleeping and there's no one around for her to play or be with. At night put her in a small room with a litter box or large crate that can also fit a litter box somewhere away from your room.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this very same problem when I got my kitten. First, we decided at night times we would leave him in the utility room with his food and stuff. But on the first night he cried so loudly (I was sleeping on the couch that night) I felt so bad I had to go inside and see him...when I shut the door again he continued to wail so I just let him sleep with me on the sofa. After 2 nights I HAD to sleep in my bedroom so we decided that he COULD sleep with me otherwise he'd just cry and cry all night long. I think it was due to the fact that he likes to be around people otherwise he gets very lonely...he's over 1 yr old now and during the night he wanders around the house but he CAN sleep outside of my room without me now. I think it's because he was so young..so maybe yours will soon become more independent! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long have you had your new kitten?
A mere 48 hours, to be honest. Last night I did confine her to a single room with her stuff and she was pretty content. But for the past two hours this morning she's back to her crying ways, wandering from room to room. She lets me pet/play with her for a moment, but then she's right back to crying all over the place.

I'll chalk this up to moving anxiety, but I sure wish there was something I could do to soothe her.

Ha - as I type this she's now a purring little ball of happyness on my nap. I think the problem is just lack of attention. Now I'll just have to find a way to remain productive as I work from home with my new pal. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
It takes a week or two for them to settle in. Give her lots of love and attention and probably within the next few days she will feel comfy in her new home. No matter what people/ breeders tell you Bengals are vocal cats so she may be talkative even after she settle in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bengalsownme said:
It takes a week or two for them to settle in. Give her lots of love and attention and probably within the next few days she will feel comfy in her new home. No matter what people/ breeders tell you Bengals are vocal cats so she may be talkative even after she settle in.
Excellent - this is what I wanted to hear. Thanks so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts