Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope im posting this in the right forum.
About 4 months ago we had to put our sick 14 year old male to sleep.
We found our female Kali, three years ago, she was living in a burn down house. When we brought her home she never did get along with our male cat, she was always the dominant one. Now we want to adopt a kitty or an adult cat. My question is what age, sex, etc. would be the most compatible with a dominant female? I would appreciate any input.
Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums, maybe a cat the same age and sex is best for her?? Without really seeing the situation it would be hard to know, but good luck!! You can use all sorts of things to help make the introduction process easier, no matter what age & sex the cat is.

Sam.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Females get along better with males, believe it or not. Adults adjust better to kittens. My dominate male cat doesn't bother ONLY the kittens. All the cats get along fine with the kittens.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I would ask around/read up on this topic throughout the forum. Many users have posted helpful ways to introduce new kittens/cats.

I have a 5 yr-old female, very dominant, spoiled cat. When I tried to introduce a male kitten a few months ago, she literally tried to kill the kitten.

I would hate to have this happen to you, so just read the advice given here by the experienced members. I'm sure many more will post and offer advice.

I'm sorry I don't have any; it didn't work out for me. :( I've just had to accept that I won't have another kitty until Stephen is gone -- and I hope that's a long ways away.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hmmmmm. Hard to say. I have always heard the oposite sexes tend to get along better than the same sex...but this is always not the case. If youcan, I would try to bring you female to see the new cat you plan on adopting..just to see how they get along. Most shelters will let you do this. I also would suggest that you get a younger cat...much easier to deal with when you have a dominate female. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good suggestion junglekitty, even though my kitty thinks she's tuff she really freaks out in public settings so it probably wouldn't work anyways but thanks, it was a good idea. I'm just scared of bringing a new kitty in my house and it not working out. I've always said a pet is for life, so I couldn't she returning it if there was a problem.
I don’t know what ill do some say it will work and some don’t so ill just have to thinks about it some more! By the way does any one have Positive or negative, experiences getting cats from a Shelter? if so I would like to hear about them.
thank Kali's servant

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got a new kitten from a shelter the other day and there has been some hissing from my 1 1/2 yr old male cat, but he generally likes cats to begin with. Overall though the new kitten is really cute and things are going pretty much as expected. As far as you having a dominant cat, you could always foster a kitten/cat from the shelter. That way if it doesnt work out then it isnt perminant, but you might find things going smoothly and decide to adopt!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts