Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
so I just got adopted a new cat today and brought her home to my apartment that I share with 5 other people. She’s super sweet and friendly and had no trouble warming up to her. I kept her in one of our bathrooms with food/water, litter, toys, bed, scratching post to make sure she was super comfortable. But she is already super friendly with most of us and really curious so I sped up the process and let her explore the rest of the apartment one room at a time and I followed her around to make sure she was okay.
Then it came to around 10ish at night and that’s around when we all try to go to bed. Since she is still new here and learning the apartment, I put her back into the bathroom so I don’t have to worry while I sleep. However for a good 45 minutes she kept on meowing and scratching at the door to be let out. But since I was tired I ignored her so she wouldn’t learn that meowing means she gets what she wants. Am I doing something wrong? I don’t want the meowing to become a problem and keeping people up but I don’t want my cat to be free roaming at night yet. Should I look into calming aids? Is this a kind of separation anxiety?? I just want to make sure I’m doing things right.
Thank you for your help!

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
Well, the poor little girl was just kidnapped by MONSTERS and is being held captive in a new place. This, of course, is from her perspective. Can she stay in your bedroom with the door shut? If there are no other animals, I would try to let her roam through the whole house during the day this weekend. For all of my girls, I've taken a long weekend to help them get settled. And playing with her and giving her a small meal right at your bedtime will help. Cats seem to play, eat, groom and sleep.

Ignoring cats when they act up is one way to deal with certain issues, but a brand new cat needs to feel safe. They're scared. I would take a box, turn it on it's side, and put a blanket inside. She also needs a couple hiding places for when she gets overwhelmed.

Hopefully keeping her in your bedroom at night won't need to last long, she may even scratch and meow - cats hate closed doors. If she's the only pet in the house and breakable items are secured or put away, and you're with her for the weekend, it might be okay after a couple days. And the first time she jumps on your bed and wants to sleep with you, wow, just a wonderful feeling. :)

How old is she? Name? Pictures?

·
Registered
662 Posts
The v ery first day you have this kitten and you think there's a problem or the cat has separation anxiety? No, I don't blame you if you are new to kittens or cats, but this is nothing to worry about. As Marie says, the little baby is suddenly thrust into an new place and is confused, scared, uncertain of what will happen next, and so on.
Just give the little baby some time to adjust and make sure you do everything you can to make her feel safe and secure and loved.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Leave her in the bathroom, but with some interactive toys for her, and a radio on softly. Some cats enjoy batting a ping pong ball in a bath tub or bottom of a shower. Cats seem to like certain types of music---,jazz, classical, pop if it's not too wild sounding but has nice rhythm. Some of the modern pop music is all on 3 notes and not very memorable or pleasant. (just my opinion). Anyway, give it a try and she should settle into this night-time routine and be content after a while. Need patience. All the best!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Why would shutting the new cat in the bathroom by herself be a good idea? I think that's a bad idea, myself. And very unfair to the cat.

From the cat's point of view, she has suddenly been taken away from everything familiar and she is naturally unsettled by this. she needs to have warmth and loving care, not to be shut into a tiled or linoleum floored room with hard porcelain appliances and probably no soft place to sleep and left there all by herself like a prisoner.

This is very likely to create serious anxiety, which will exacerbate the problem greatly. Look at it from the cat's point of view and you will see how inappropriate this would be. Playing music would not ameliorate this harsh experience for the cat at all. She needs to know that she is safe and loved in a new family, not to be shut away from everyone.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Lulleity, You should put your cat in the bath room just before you go to bed for the night, certainly not during the daytime. Perhaps my previous mention of "night-time routine" was not clear enough?

·
Registered
662 Posts
To me it seems as though shutting the cat into the bathroom at any time is unnecessary and may very well be adding to the problem. How could being shut into a bathroom help an animal who is frightened in a new situation feel better and more calm, feel accepted into a new home? It won't. It will do the opposite. The cat needs reassurance, to be with the person, to be talked to and so on, not shut into a hard-surfaced room all by herself. Look at this from the cat's point of view!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hello L. Welcome to Cat Wars! Personally, I'd skip the bathroom and bring her into your bedroom, with a litterbox, water and food well away from the box, cat bed, scratching post, and cat tree by the window. Close the door only when you're in there with her. You may have a few sleepless nights, but cats needs to know that they're safe and it's our job to help them with that. Let her roam the house with your supervision during the day, and when she's comfortable, let her roam about on her own.

One thing is, if she's an indoor cat, make sure the other people you're living with don't let her out. She's your cat, so you set the rules and make sure everybody follows them.

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
Well the OP hasn't been back since the day she posted this, so I think she has enough info to pick and choose what she wants to do.

Reactions: miscellaneous
1 - 9 of 9 Posts