Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this but I hope to find someone who may have gone through what I am experiencing.
I have a kitten that was borm without a diaphragm. She is now about 6 months old and is suddenly meowing and she never did before. I cant see that there is anything she wants. She alternately plays normally and coughed and choked for a bit. I know a vet appointment is in our next few days but I knew when I signed on for her, that we wouldn't have forever. I just need some insight about what to expect and what I can do for her. Thanks for any insight anyone might have!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi and welcome. I do not have any advice for you, unfortunately. I would post in the "Health and Nutrition" topic here on the forums and wait a day or two to see if someone can help you. Please post the results of your vet visit and maybe someone will have some insight for you. Take care, Chuck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Gosh, I am so sorry. I am not a vet and don 't have any experience with your kitten's particular problem but i would guess that as long as your kitty doesn't develop any acute respiratory distress, she should be OK until she sees the vet. I wouldn't want her to play too hard, though. I think the fact that she is meowing might be a good sign since it means she can force an adequate amount of air over her vocal cords to produce sounds. Coughing isn't necessarily bad, either--it's a protective mechanism and again a being must have sufficient pulmonary function to do it. I don't want to give false hope--again, I am NOT a vet, though I do work in the medical field, and humans and cats aren't that different physiologically when you get down to the basics.

Best of luck to you and please keep us updated on your kitty? What is her name, btw?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts