Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I came home yesterday to find my 30 gallon leaking! It's a slow leak, but I have already reparied this tank once and now it's leaking from a different area. Time for the garbage! So I went to work yesterday and got my boss to order me a 40 gallon.

30 gallons are made with the thinner glass that they use for 10 and 20 gallons, so they are prone to leaking. 40 gallons are made with thicker glass, so they are much more durable. It was either down to a 20 or up to a 40. The bigger the better always applies with tanks, so up to a 40 I went. He also ordered me a nice fluorescent canopy to go with it. I get a GREAT discount since I work there too.

Fish have been my hobby since I was 12 years old. My dad and I used to breed them and we had tonnes of tanks. Since I moved in with my boyfriend, space is LIMITED (until we get our house....hee hee) so I can't have more than a few tanks. So any new addition is exciting for me! I can't wait to set it up! I get it on Thurdsay.

I'm thinknig of repairing the 30 gallon again and using it for my 9 goldfish that I told you all about. That would be better than the 10 gallon they are crammed in now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on your new tank! I'm sure you will have fun getting it all set up. Can't wait to see pics of it when it's done. If it's possible to repair the 30g I'm sure the 9 goldies will love going into a bigger tank. If you can keep the 10g up and running maybe you should keep 2 goldies in it and put the rest in the 30. In any case good luck. I know somebody posted a link to goldfishparadise.com but here's another site that is good too..... http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/forum/
Linda

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have 5 tanks. One 45gal, a 30, 2/20's, and a 10. Love them.

Have Firemouths in the 30. So far they have presented me with babies twice. Funny thing is that when I got them I ask the guy that owns the shop if they were easy breeders. He told me that they needed to be very happy and the water conditions had to just right for them to breed. Well guess I have very happy fishand perfect water conditions. After the last batch of about 50 I seperated the male out and put him in the 45 gal tank.

But I love my tanks. One of the 20's is in my bedroom. Love laying there at night and watching them. Kevin has a 30 and a 20 in him bedroom.
He has a Rainbow fin shark that evidently was injured. His back is crooked and has a big hump on it. He named hi Quasamato( from hunch back).

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I moved my goldfish into a 20 gallon, so it's slowly getting better for them! They love the extra room. I am going to try to repair the 30 for them, but it's a big job. It's leaking all around the top, and now at the bottom too. Grrrrr. The 20 gallon has no gravel, just a few plants. Gravel takes up room, and wanted them to have the whole 20 gallons!

I am VERY excited about getting my 40 gallon. Does anyone know anything about sand bottoms? Is it harder to keep? Thanks!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Maleke: Congrats on your soon to have 40G!
I have sand in one of my tanks, and yes, it is more a pain to keep looking nice, because you can't clean it the same way you do other substrates.

I'm going to assume you have a gravel vac... basically with sand, you can't stick the vac into the sand, you just have to wave it around, about an inch above the sand, and suck up any particles that float upwards. There is also the problem with anarobic pockets (sp). But getting things like MT (malaysian trumpet snails), or bottom feeders, will help keep this problem, as well as the debris down.

I hope your using something like 100% silicon for your repairs on the fish tank. Anything else can be toxic. You can buy it from Home Depot, or a fish store, but just make sure all that's in it, is 100% silicon.
In the 30G do you have any rocks, or any other heavy items touching the glass? That could be a potential problem for leaks, as well as not having the tank and the stand perfectly level.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Lynda said:
Have Firemouths in the 30. So far they have presented me with babies twice.
I assume you mean Firemouth cichlids, the egg layers? I had a Firemouth Cichlid who bullied all of the other fish in my 55 gallon tank. But when I put him in a breeding tank--set up just the way Firemouths like it for breeding, and put in a female full of eggs, he cowered in a corner! I guess he was afraid of the responsibility of a wife and kids! :D

Maleke, I'm glad the goldfish are getting a new home. Now, all you have to do is get an extra job to pay for all of the food they'll eat when they get really big! :wink: By the way, I had a 29 gallon tank, and was told there is no such thing as a 30 gallon. Is this a new type?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeanie, actually I was told mine is a 33 gallon. So I don't know what it really is!

I use non toxic silicon stuff for my tank, I bought it at Big Al's so it's safe. No rocks touching the glass, it's leaking from the seams at the top and now a bit at the bottom.

I might try the sand substrate, I just LOVE the way it looks. Do trumpet snails breed like crazy? I really dont' want a tank full of snails. If they don't breed like nuts, I'll get some....is there anything other than snails that can help keep the bottom clean? I know cory's eat food on the bottom......but that's all I can think of.

Does anyone have any experience with Paradise Fish? I saw some today and they looked really pretty. I have never kept them because I have heard they are aggressive.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
A plecostomus will also bottom feed. And you know a gold fish will eat what's on top, the middle, and the bottom. In fact my Quasimodo almost choked on gravel!

If you're speaking of Mystery snails, the large ones that travel up the glass, siphon air, and then drop back down, mine never bred. And I wish they had. :( The little pain in the neck snails were constantly laying eggs on the glass, though!

I had a paradise fish. I had asked one of the guys at the aquarium store if I could put it in a community tank of large fish, and he said , "Sure!," thinking I was being funny, because I knew quite a bit about fish. The funny thing is that he never bothered any other fish! The only mean fish I had was one of my tiger barbs ( I had a group) and, of all things, a speckled molly. (not a black molly!) Of course cute little bumblebee gobis are fin nippers. And they look so darling!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Malaysian Trumpet Snails....AAARRRRGH yes they breed, worse than rabbits! And they are livebearers too! Once a week I go through my 5 gallon and try and get rid of as many of them as I can. They don't bother the plants, but they take up resources in my tank that i'd much rather go to my breeder fishies (the MTS's shell is too hard for puffers to break so I can't feed them to Bonzai) Right now I have 4 female guppies and one male guppy, the male guppy has so far been very unique in that he shows no interest in the females. All other male guppies i've had wouldn't leave the females alone!!

The MTS's are generally nocturnal, if I turn on the light in the middle of the night i'll see at least a dozen when earlier in the day there were none to be found, just when I think i've gotten the tank cleared of them I see more! Little pests!

·
Registered
722 Posts
PS, although Pleco's are VERY common in pet stores, its MUCH better to get an otto. Plecos grow to be VERY large and require a VERY large tank. Ottos stay small.

I lost a pleco once, had him in a 55 gallon with my oscar. He had grown to be about 11" long and I was quite fond of him. One morning I woke up and couldn't find him in the tank, I looked all over, on the floor, under the dresser the tank was on, and nothing. Finally I noticed water marks on my wall, Pleco had not only jumped out of the tank via the small opening beside the filter, he had become wedged between my dresser and the wall! Being that the tank was full of water I couldnt move the dresser, draining the tank would have taken hours, I slowly pulled him out from behind the dresser. He was still alive, covered in dust, and looked so pathetic I wanted to cry. I could tell he was way beyond saving so I had to euthanize him.

I had had no idea they could jump out of the tank, I had had him since he was about 2" long when I got him from Wal-Mart. Ghost Shrimp are great bottom feeders, they stay small, are very cheap(like 30 cents each), and very hardy, though I don't think they do anything for algea.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ghost shrimp are neat looking, maybe I'll try a couple of those. :)

I asked on a fish forum about sand bottoms, they all said that sand seems to look dirty a lot more than gravel since there are no crevices for the food and dirt to fall into. They suggested a dark sand if I want to go with sand, or else use silica. I still might just go with a fine gravel instead.....ahhhh so many decisions!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
One plecostomus I had left the tank also. I called him Hoover from then until he died. He got a type of fungus and died soon after his adventure on the rug. Poor Hoover! I cleaned a lot more algae than he ever did, but he was interesting to look at--very primitive. You know how fast they scoot up the side of the tank at times. I don't think it was a leap, just a fast scoot that led to his premature demise. :( Most of these "plecostomi" are not the true plecostomus, which is, as Paybe said, huge!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hooray!!! :D That is awesome. :D of couse, we want to see pics. I am so glad you are giving the goldfish a good home.....bless your heart. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts