Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Tarō is 4 months old. I picked him up last week and I am worried his independent, fearful nature will remain the same. I am trying real hard here: being gentle 24/7, providing toys, food, cleaning his litter box on the regular. The first 4-5 nights, he yowled a lot. I ignored it and he stopped. He plays with me when he gets in the mood, but doesn't let me near him if I don't have food to give. I started hand feeding this morning (and have been giving him wet food with my fingers). He hisses sometimes, but has 0 aggression. When I am able to put my hand on him, he seems to enjoy it, but will hide later on. I am really scared he is going to stay like that. Anybody got tips or success stories with Balinese/Siamese/Orientals?

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
You're rushing things a bit. And his breed doesn't really matter. He's in a strange house with a strange monster (imagine if you were suddenly transplanted to someplace with someone more than 20 times your size). Just be patient, some cats take a couple weeks or more. He needs his hiding places, places to feel safe. He'll come around, but it has to be on his terms, you can't force anything. Sit in the room with him, read a book out loud, keep treats nearby in case he comes close to you. He'll learn that being with you is a good thing. Sounds like you're doing the right things, but it will take a little time. I know it's hard to be patient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! ? I guess I just need to be reminded to be patient once in a while. It is hard since I have been waiting for him to come home for months!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with Marie . . . spend as much time with Tarō as you can, without expecting anything from him. Just be with him so he can get used to you.

If you have speakers on your computer, try playing purring sounds. There are a lot of different ones on YouTube, but this my favorite:
It generally calms my foster kittens, and may help him (and you!) sleep at night. David Teie's two CDs, Music for Cats, are good, too. You can find them on Amazon Prime Music.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try the slow blink look away method. Once he realizes you're trying to be his friend, he'll come around. My siamese is now a mama's boy but has an independent streak. I do my best to cat talk with my boys with sound, but mostly with body langauge since cats communicate silently most of the time.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
All great suggestions I am going to use with my foster kitties!

I read that if you keep them in a small room for awhile they feel safer when first acclimating. If they still hide from you when entering the room (bathroom, big closet, small bedroom) then you can crate them for awhile. It depends on how scared he is. If he cowards in the corners of the room or hides under beds he needs a smaller space to feel safe at first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts