Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed a new behavior in the last few weeks. It started just before our move. Book will be laying quietly and thinking kitten thoughts(which I'm sure would all tick me off) then MowMow will walk up to him, roll him onto his back, grab him by the throat and hang on.

He doesn't hump him and doesn't seem to bite down hard (the kitten doesn't cry out). He just pins him down and holds him there while Book very gently rabbit kicks his belly and wraps his paws around his neck to chew on his ears. It's definitely NOT play on MowMow's side though. I haven't stepped in because it *SEEMS* like MowMow is gently exerting dominance and that's what I want since he will be a more fair and benevolent ruler than Book. :wink

Am I reading it wrong or is MowMow asserting himself as the dominant cat? It seems like a good time since Book is 8 months old now and is testing MowMOw constantly. He is always stalking him and threatening to pounce (although he rarely gets up the nerve to do so), he also bats at MowMow's feet as he walks by.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I call that a "preemptive strike". Yep, MowMow knows he's being stalked or about to be pounced and just letting SB know he's not going to be a pushover. MowMow's showing him who's boss now before he gets bolder and bigger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
LOL! My kittens do this too. Gandolf will pounce and play a lot, and try the same thing to Smudge ( the elder kitten), but usually Smudge turns on him and pins him. Gandolf throws a fit half the time, tho Smudge just holds him and doesn't hurt him. ;) Gandolf is just a whiney butt. :D

They are likely just getting into their "adult" roles. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts