Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just got a new cat. I had a cat growing up that I loved & just got settled down enough to finally get a cat of my own. I'm headed over to the behavior section to post a question about having a cat declawed in the front & back (save the rant's about in-human... The cat I adopted is 2 years old & double declawed... I didn't do it). I had a cat that wasn't declawed & my husband had a cat that was declawed in the front so we have no experience with a cat that is double declawed. The cat is great but it shows a tendency to not jump & sometimes misses jumps. I wanted to hear what people have experienced from a double declawed cat which is why I joined this form. Please find my thread in the behavior section if you would like to comment on this topic.
Me

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
My Missy was double declawed when I adopted her by a PO. Presumably because of her chronic head itchies. She is always shaking her head and scratching at her head. Outwardly there is nothing there, so we (vets and I) think the issue is feline herpes which has plagued her with these symptoms. I think someone declawed her in the back out of mercy. She was probably tearing herself up.

Aside from the medical issues that the herpes has caused there are no issues from the declawing. She cannot jump - never could in the 6 years we've had her but then again, she is 18 now, quite elderly and teeny tiny at only about 5 pounds. I adopt senior and adult cats and always look for declawed cats. I would never do it, but there is no shortage of senior declawed cats that are thrown away that are put up for adoption where I live.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I adopt senior and adult cats and always look for declawed cats. I would never do it, but there is no shortage of senior declawed cats that are thrown away that are put up for adoption where I live.
I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm surprised that elderly cats would be left homeless. How does that happen? The only explanation I can imagine is if the owner died and had nobody close to take his/her cat.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I don't want to derail this thread, but I'm surprised that elderly cats would be left homeless. How does that happen? The only explanation I can imagine is if the owner died and had nobody close to take his/her cat.
Because people suck. :( I volunteer at a shelter and we get several seniors dumped each week. Either they're old and meowing too much (which probably means they're in pain and should be seen by a vet), or the owners just had a baby and don't want the cat attacking a baby (like a 16 year old cat would really do that), or they found out they had inoperable cancer and don't want to pay for meds, etc. I could go on and on. I think a lot of people view pets as possessions, not family members. I can only hope they get dumped at a shelter when they get "too old".

Ok, now that I'm off my soapbox, welcome to the forum Me1983! Do you have pics of your kitty? :)

I've never had a double declawed kitty, but I know they can have issues jumping. They can't grab hold of things with their claws like un-declawed kitties, so I think they may be hesitant to jump, and have a tendancy to slide on hard surfaces.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
We've had the same thing happen with dogs. My parent's were breeders and we'd have people call who bought a dog from us 14/15 years before and want a puppy.... and then ask how to dispose of the old dog... As Emily said... baby's, incontinence (it was always a big one), wracked up too many vet bills with age, etc.

We always said the same thing, bring the old dog back and we'll call you when we have a litter.... they were *NEVER* called back once we got the Sr citizen and other breeders nationwide were 'alerted' of their search and why.

People are horrible.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
There is a sibling pair at our Animal Control right now that are 17. They were turned in when their owner became sick the website says. I am so in love with the picture of one of them. I keep going back to Petfinder to look at her. Her name is Tasha.

I already have 5 cats and DH would not be happy if I brought another home. This is a pair and I really can't do that. At least they are in a foster home so that brings a bit of joy to me that they weren't euthanized. Go to Petfinder.com and put your zip code and senior in the query boxes and do a search for 100 miles (that's the least amount of miles). In my area there are a couple dozen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts