Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. A month ago adopted a young male (about 1 year). I have two other males (4 years, 10 years).

The new kitty was a feral kitten but has been socialized very well. He loves being petted and brushed. Purrs a lot.

The cats have been transitioning well. No fights, no growling or hissing.

The issue is he's very vigilant and he's hyper active. I'm thinking it's partially due to being young and energetic. My cats have gotten pretty stogy!

I'd like for him to feel safer and not so reactive (plays but gets freaked out too) when they play together. I have Feliway atomizers in all rooms of the house.

Maybe it's just a matter of time for him to feel safe and less spastic. Maybe a month is still early in the transition?

Thank you for any input

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add, when they play together, he gets reactive and therefore a bit rough. Which turns the other cats off. They do play with him, but seem to tire of him pretty quick.

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
80 Posts
I think the energy is from how young he is. I have a cat of similar age, and he gets zoomies all the time 😅

As far as how reactive he is, it may be just him settling in. Some cats, in my experience, are just more nervy than others, but I think the Feliway was a great idea. Give him some time, hopefully he will settle with age, but until then enjoy his kitten energy!

Finding toys to occupy him worked great with my cat. It might even give your other cats some reprieve from his playfulness. I like to have a big game with my cat fly whenever Stanley gets a little too destructive, but I also like toys he can play with by himself. Best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts