Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son died this summer and I agreed to take a cat who came to live with him because my granddaughter's dogs attacked him at her house. KitKat is about 2-3 years old and a very big boy who has been shuffled around alot. KitKat joined a female named Bogey who has been here since 04 or 05 and lived peacefully for years with 4 other cats at my house. The last of those cats died in February so Bogey has been alone most of the year. Bogey has not been happy having another cat in the house and KitKat seemed to want to be friends at first. Bogey is not ok with that and growls when KK comes near. It is getting worse and today, KK sat on the floor in front of Bogey on the sofa and had a staring contest. Bogey growled and KK jumped at Bogey and attacked him. Bogey ran out of the room and under the kitchen island where she has been hiding whenever KK challenges her. KK didn't back off until I made him go upstairs where he stayed for the rest of the afternoon. Bogey is now terrified of KK and is unwilling to make friends. I'm not sure if KK wants to play with Bogey or what but he did live with an older cat at my son's house. We have a big house and KK tends to stay upstairs and comes down to eat. I like KK and try to give him attention as much as I can.

Any suggestions what can be done to at least keep Bogey safe and KK from attacking would be appreciated. I don't know much about cat calming products and need something or some ideas to keep both cats happy. Thanks. Lynn

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
Here are Jackson Galaxy's tips for introductions. I think there are 5 parts. You may have to start completely over, but if it works, it's worth it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It sounds like you've had a rough year, Lynn. Probably best to keep them separated until you come up with a strategy. You'll need to feed them in different places and provide a litter box for each in different parts of the house. Good luck . . . hope you can work out a truce.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If Bogey was initially growling at kitkat, it could be that kitkat decided to fight back, and hence the attacking began. From what I've read in your post, Bogey had been growling at kitkat more than once. It may be a territorial thing on Bogey's part, and defensive on the part of kitkat. Perhaps if you could gradually reintroduce them to each other for short periods of time, then separate them again, and let them gradually get used to each other, things might iron out on their own.

There could also be some jealousy issues. Be sure Bogey knows that he is still very much loved and secure that he isn't going to be replaced by the new cat.

I had similar issues when I introduced a second cat after the companion to my older cat died. It took awhile for Oscar to realize he was still top cat and Skinner wasn't going to displace him. I made sure to always pet Oscar first, and give the two cats equal attention. Gradually, Oscar warmed up to Skinner, and now they're both fine.

You might want to try this strategy with Bogey and Kitkat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts