Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I FINALLY finished the suitcase cat bed.

I started with this suitcase that my Dad carried when he came to this country (from Hungary):

il_340x270.527776670_3lso

I put the legs on it first to be sure it would be stable and not topple over. I stuck a bed pillow in it just for bed sizing reference and MowMOw fell instantly in love with it, that delayed things for more than a day... he wouldn't get out.
10001357_10202308558969461_6721217415837152752_n

Today I put in the new lining, lace around the edges, stained the legs, and touched up the hardware. Of course now that it smells like epoxy and minwax no one wants to LAY in it... but Im sure that will change when the smells dissipates.

WP_20140412_006

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ooo that is so cool!!! Id love to do that for my cats... i'm not very tool savy though and would probably hurt myself some way xD how did you put the legs on? And did you make those or buy em, they look so nice. Thats a cool idea. It would sure solve the problem of them sleeping in my clean close basket and adding their fur to my clothes lolz

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
MowMow, you're a genious when it comes to repurposing your father's old suitcase into your kitties' new bed! It looks very comfy indeed...were I a cat, I'd probably get into a tuff with your cat to be able to sit in it, too, lol. I love the liner and how the pillow fits perfectly inside!

Great work, it's no wonder your cats love you so much!:luv

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The legs were from Home Depot. I drilled 4 holes in the suitcase (1" in from each corner). The legs came with the screw, I just had to buy nuts and washers and tighten them down.

I think total the project cost me about 35.00 in materials.

·
Registered
737 Posts
35 isnt alot for a cool idea like that. Ive seen beds at walmart that were 40-50 dollars and they were just cloth. Ive always wanted to get one to put on my bed for the cats, but im scared theyd ignore it for the bed itself and thatd be a waste of alot of money xD i like yours because its higher up too, gives them both a perch and a bed ^_^ its really cool. Your kitties are so lucky :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
779 Posts
That's beautiful! And what a great way to use/display your dad's suitcase instead of sticking it away in an attic somewhere. I hope the boys enjoy their new bed!

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
What a great idea! Wish I had the creativity and skills, but since I don't, I'm happy admiring what others do. :)

This made me laugh:

MowMOw fell instantly in love with it, that delayed things for more than a day... he wouldn't get out.

LOL!!

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He likes it! Hey, Mikey!! (extra points if you get that reference).

*and now that I see this picture, I notice a few scratches have have to be fixed...
WP_20140413_004

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.