Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I very recently adopted a 4 yr old cat, who has been so sweet and comforting and overall affectionate and well behaved. The problem I have is that the person I live with is not too fond of my cat, but my cat is obsessed with her! And at night whenever this person closes their door to sleep, my cat goes crazy and meows non stop and even began pawing at their door. How do I stop the cat from messing with the door at night and realize this person should be left alone? He only calms down once this person leaves the house for work. When they come home he’s all over them. I don’t want to irritate the person I live with, and I don’t want to give up this cat. Is there anything out there that will help? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Have you an idea of why this cat is so attracted to your friend? Cats can be attracted to certain people, but often its the person who .feeds them Does she feed him a lot of treats?, or play with him a lot when she is home? Can the cat sleep with you instead? or if not, do you have some space in a room (bathroom, rec room, or spare room) that you can set up the cat's special sleeping area, with a comfy cat bed, a heating pad if the area is cool such as in a basement, litter box and water bowl, and give it a small meal or treats just before its bedtime---make it a routine especially the timing (may work if your friend always go to bed at the same time). The cat may fuss in the beginning but stick with it and see if you can change its routine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like because she pays him no attention it makes him want her more if that makes sense. I am the main one that gives food, water, and changes the litter. He hasn’t been a very playful cat, so I’m still looking for what excites him. He really just loves being around anyone and laying down or being picked up. He sleeps with me most nights and i find that I have to lock him in my room just to get him to leave her alone, but I really wanted to give him free range cause he’s a good boy. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure but our one cat will paw and meow at any door that is closed at night like that and we had to start putting in the garage to sleep when we have guests in that room otherwise they won’t get any rest. Even if no one is in there he will paw at it. It’s just like he feels he should not be denied access to anything in his house. If she will not leave her door open then you will probably have to keep him locked in your room with you. If he’s not pounding at the door to leave your room as ours would then you have an easy solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This sometimes tends to happen during lack of attention. On the other hand when you give them too much of attention they tend only to seek for more, so it's sort of enchanted circle that needs to be balanced.

Someone mentioned above, making a routine. That should help as well with the training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts