Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had rocky now about 1 yr, siamese male,,,,,went to the arizona humain society, and adopted a 6 month old black female....her name is lucy....she does not like rocky, when rock got about 6 inches from her, she took a swipe at him....every time rocky gets close, she starts growly and hissing...should i take her back to the pound, and get another cat???

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay...i am trying to let them come together right off ....i still think there is hope....lucy seems friendly, until rock gets close,,,i have to keep lucy away from rocky anyhow,,,,she has small upper respiratory infection. after a week ,,,i will try the feeding method and door thing...quess this is going to take some time..

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Cats often don't get along with their own species, which is why you need to introduce them slowly - don't take her back, but read up on how to introduce cats, and give it some time! It can take months for cats to get along, and you will likely need to work at it for them to become friends. Once a cat matures they come to view other cats as a threat to their territory. In my experience, cats can get along way better with dogs than other cats.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
agree,,,,sure is strange, rocky loves dogs, but he also has never been agressive toward any cats...but i have had 3 or 4 cats that were aggressive towards him...if i had a cat that loves other cats, they would be instant friends

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well...i have both cats in separate rooms, but when i open the door, they are both sitting there looking at each other...is that slowly introducing them...

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Don't feel bad, 11 years ago my ex felt disses by my cat and we took in a stray, we didn't know anything about introducing a new cat to our home and at best they had an uneasy truce until this past May when the elder cat passed at 16.
Now since I've found this site it makes me sad that they could have been friends instead of rivals.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when i go into the other room, its hard not have them look at each other,,,its not like they are hissing ,,,only very close, and its just the new cat....rocky keeps trying to get in there and see the new cat..but she has an upper respiratory infection....i had the door closed between the 2 room,,but later found they were pawing each other under the door.....i suspect my older cat will get sick too...just too hard not to expose it to something.....i think they will get along...just going to take time.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the door thing is nice i believe, but the new cat is sick and sneezes...trying to keep my healty one non-sick,,might be tought to do....

hopefully i get them to be friends,, and not like someone here that had rivals,...that is unfortunate for the cats and owner

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
the door thing is nice i believe, but the new cat is sick and sneezes...trying to keep my healty one non-sick,,might be tought to do....

hopefully i get them to be friends,, and not like someone here that had rivals,...that is unfortunate for the cats and owner
That was me, when my ex left she left Chiquita behind, now Samantha cat in my Avatar was Papa spoiled princess and I won't lie I loved her best but I tried to treat them the same and I feed them the same food.
At night in bed Samantha would be on my right and Chiquita on my left, if Samantha felt Chiquita was getting too much attention she would run her off the bed but if cornered Chiquita would go feral cat and Samantha who even though twice her size was really a big sissy girl.
It was sad because life would have been better for both of them to be friends, I see other people here who's cats are friends and groom each other and play.
Now that Samantha is gone Chiquita has blossomed and that makes me sad too that I loved Samantha more.
I discovered this site after Samantha passed and have learned more about cat behavior in the last 5 months then my previous 56 years of being around cats.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i could not wait on the introduction, had them together for a short time today,,,sort of went okay, but them my male simaese, realizing that this a female, tryed to mount her...she hunched down and hissed....is this going to be a problem now, constant sex thing?????

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
i could not wait on the introduction, had them together for a short time today,,,sort of went okay, but them my male simaese, realizing that this a female, tryed to mount her...she hunched down and hissed....is this going to be a problem now, constant sex thing?????
Isn't your cat neutered?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts