Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background: I adopted my little love "Kitty" 3 1/2 years ago. He has one eye and seven toes and is a lovable boy. We are an inseparable pair. He is 7 1/2 years and very vocal and sociable with me.

Yesterday I visited the shelter and decided to adopt a little 2 year old longhair girl kitty. She is very docile and tolerant. She is incredibly good natured. I thought she was a good candidate for the family for those reasons plus she is small- non threatening to resident Kitty.

I set up base camp but Kitty got in and hissed/growled a few times when he saw Miss New Cat and took off running and ignored me for the rest of the night. Miss New Cat did nothing but lay low- she did not challenge him. She remains in base camp.

I was so upset I didn't sleep a wink. Kitty didn't sleep with me last night and is aloof with me. He has not "addressed me" or acknowledged me in any way today. He groomed himself for hours last night. I even slept on the couch between base camp and the rest of the house hoping to make Kitty comfortable. I hope I didn't mess up a good thing.

I'm already regretting my decision to bring another cat in. Thinking of returning her. It hasn't even been a day, but I had no idea how emotional this would make me. I should be crying tears of joy to have a new kitty, instead feel sick to my stomach because my first commitment has to be to my boy Kitty.

Anything you can offer would be appreciated. :patback

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I would say take a deep breath and keep trying. Your resident kitty will not ignore you long. They don't hold grudges past the immediate usually. You should also take heart in the fact he hissed, growled then RAN away not attacked on sight. He was very surprised at finding a intruder in his territory yet retreated. Grooming is a calming mechanism for a lot of cats, he probably was nervous.

Keep up your normal routines with him, but adding in the intro process into it. If you feed a a certain time in the morn keep doing it just move to a few feet from the base camp door, ect. If you have set play times,(after food, before bed, after lunch..) .. include the base camp area, ect. Yes it will be emotional but its worth it if you can make it work. Hopefully your resident furball will settle down quickly and go along with it. If he seems calm then try the scent transfer just respect his favorite spots, so he doesn't feel like its too intruding to fast.

Wish you lots of luck. Just remember if your nervous, he will be too. <<hugs>>

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Your base camp is in an enclosed room so they cant see each other correct? Your new kitten needs to acclimate into a new set up, with new smells, people, sounds wothout the iintrusion of a resident cat. Also your heart cat needs to know the rest of his space is safe and doesnt have this new interloper hiding in his area ready to attack. He needs to be assured he is your bonded number one cat. This is very natural, their rections and behaviors innitially. Keeps this up for several days. Sit with your new kitty while feeding her so she knows your a barer of good things. Take toys in and play with her. Sit with her and read or make phone calls. Once things settle dowm let them meet just thru a crack in the door several times a day BRIEfLY.

You need to give this a chance to work thru. Good luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
It can be nerve wrecking. I remember it took me about 2 weeks before I could allow my previous cat & a foster to be in contact with one another.

Kitty might be in shock and a little jealous. I remember my cat hissing at me because I had the new cat's smell on me. But in the end they were able to integrate with cat fights and chasing in the beginning; until the order was established of who was the alpha.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
The fact that Kitty hissed and was upset when he encountered Miss New Cat doesn’t mean all is lost. Most cats would react the same way under the same circumstances. So, I wouldn’t worry too much about that part.

It’s not clear whether Kitty has ever been with other cats. I take it he hasn’t during the 3.5 years you’ve had him, but perhaps he lived with other cats before you adopted him? If he’s never lived with other cats, then the introduction to Miss New Cat might take a while.

Nobody can know in advance whether any two cats will get along, but to increase your chances, I’d take the introduction slowly. For the first few days or perhaps the first week, try to make Miss New Cat’s arrival as stress-free as possible for Kitty. So, as much as possible, try to visit Miss New Cat when Kitty is napping (not around to see what you’re up to!). Wash your hands after visiting with Miss New Cat, so her smell is not on you, and perhaps wear a robe or similar over your clothes when you’re in there, which you can remove when you come out. Once Kitty seems to be more himself, then you can forget the robe and a few days later stop the hand washing, and then see how he reacts. You might also consider using Feliway in the base camp and surrounding rooms.

Pay lots of attention to Kitty and, whenever he’s close to Miss New Cat (i.e., when he’s close to the door of base camp), make sure good things happen. So, toss him a treat or play with him with his favorite toy, etc. That way, he’ll slowly learn to associate good things with Miss New Cat.

Other than that, follow the standard procedures for introducing new cats, but take things slowly. Don’t proceed to the next stage of each step until you’re sure both cats are ready. Finally, try to relax. If you’re nervous and upset, both cats will likely pick up on that. I wish you luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All your replies are very reassuring. I think Kitty was with other cats prior to me adopting him. His card from the shelter said he was good with cats and dogs. I used to have a golden retriever who was re-homed last year and they basically bumped noses and were fast friends. They never fought which is unusual. They slept, ate, played together.

When I first got Kitty years ago, I also adopted a 1 year old newly fixed male - and that guy was agressive and a bully. I returned him after a month with a heavy heart after he attacked me! I realized he was not the cat- addition for us. ( Thankfully I found out he was adopted the same day to a one cat home.)

Kitty greeted me with a lot of love this afternoon and I'm just trying to sooth him. He's still grooming a lot. His litter box area is right outside the base camp room ( which is a closed off bedroom). I did give him another box away from that that's an open box ( his real box is enclosed in a nice cabinet which hides it nicely). He may not want to use that any longer with a new comer in the house.
Miss New Cat is a lovable little thing that is super affectionate and cuddly. What a doll.

I'm not rushing intros, will wear diff clothes with the new kitty, I'll give it a few days for my heart to get right about it and go from there.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Both my cats were kittens (which is supposedly easier as far as intros go) when I introduced them to each other but even then there was some of this sort of behavior. Apollo hissed a lot the first day, and acted very aloof around us for a bit. However he and Athena eventually warmed up to each other and now they play and even groom each other.

So I wouldn't stress too much, it may just take a bit for everyone to get used to the changes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kitty head butted his way into the safe room today while I was in there and growled/ hissed at miss newbie - she just got low and then Kitty turned around and left. He laid down at the door and meowed like a kitten at me when I came out of the safe room. He did not show fear or aggression ...now he's guarding my bed where we sleep. He won't eat which has me worried because he's an eater. He threw up today. He's not ignoring me which makes me happy.

I did leave to door open awhile after their encounter. Kitty allowed miss new to venture out a bit and only hissed when she rubbed my toe. She sauntered back to her safe room. Pretty uneventful. Maybe this will work after all. Now I just gotta get right about having two kitties. I still feel uncertain and bad....am I supposed to be a one cat mom?
We had multiple cats when I was a kid, but I always had my favorite special cat...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Of course it will work :) I take on foster cats & kittens regularly and have two grown cats of my own. Sure, the first weeks are somewhat stressful on everyone but after they sort out their business, everything goes on as usual. And yes, my own cats do become less affectionate for the first weeks but as soon as they become used to the new situation, they return to normal :) Good luck, it sound like everything is going to be just fine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts