Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New here, have an almost 5 yr old female, that has been an only cat after we put our 17 year old down a month ago. We adopted a year old female (both are spayed) and I admit we let her out too soon. There is some hissing and chasing from my older cat, Holli. No real fighting but Holli will chase Pixie sometimes, and sometimes they will just have a stand off.
My question is, should I interfere and stop Holli? Since there's no fighting I'm not worried about either one hurting the other, but just don't like that she is chasing Pixie. Or, am I better just letting them work it out? I don't want to interfere if it would delay them "Making peace".

Thanks in advance for any help!

Carol, Holli and Pixie

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
depends on how soon is "too soon". you might want to start the socialization process over again. if the big one is chasing the little one, i'd probably want to head it off at the pass. i'm all for just letting cats work it out the way cats do, but probably when they're of equal size. each cat has to establish her own "space". i wouldn't want them to get to the point of actually fighting.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here is what I shared with grindscream who is having a similar issue about cats accepting each other.:

.............and I am glad my Kermit (twice her size) doesn't pick on Marble....she chases him.....So did our late CC but we created a sanctuary...(our bed or near us). and they both learned the meaning of the word...CC could be rough, as he was ten when Kermit was a kitten...rough play, not maliciious tho sometimes we weren't sure. So, when Kermit made it to us (the bed or couch), there was no more issue as we called out 'sanctuary' and CC knew he could get swatted for not following this rule. It was surprising how quickly they both caught on....it helped that wife was a stay at home mom and the kids enforced this rule too.

Not sure if this will work for you. perhaps the cats will sort it out themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts