Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted 3.5 year old cat from the shelter. We've had her for exactly a week. She acts happy and cuddly, and she had a physical examination that went well and everything seems normal. But she eats about a third of her food. The food is the food that she had in the shelter, and the shelter didn't notice her not eating. She'll start eating, but if she hears any noise at all or anything moves, she'll stop eating. It's hard to regulate noise or movement since we live in an apartment, and the neighbors are pretty loud.
We have another visit in a week if she still isn't eating all her food, but I'm wondering if we need to take her to the vet sooner. The vet offered to do some blood work but I wanted to hold off in case she started eating since our next appointment was so soon. I'm starting to worry that I made the wrong call in that situation, but at the time it seemed to be normal cat behavior since we had only had her for a few days.

·
Super Moderator
26,834 Posts
I don't know if this will work for you and your cat, but Cinderella was a very picky and jumpy nibbler. She really liked it when I sat down next to her while she ate.

I think everything is so foreign to your cat right now and that might be part of it. She might settle in a little more as time goes on because seriously, right now every sound is new to her.

And it could be possible it's just too much food for each meal.

Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
564 Posts
Give it time. I think what Marie says is good advice. It's also possible she doesn't eat much, or doesn't like to eat much in one sitting. Over time she will settle into her new home and you will learn her feeding habits and preferences. I suspect that in a couple of weeks things will be better.

And, you are to be commended for being concerned. It is a sign that you will be a very good owner for this little cat.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Andrea, Congrats on your new kitty! Cats can be anxious and it wouldn’t be surprising for your kitty to be extra jumpy right now since she has had so much change lately. It may take her a while to settle in. Do a search on acclimating new cats and don’t underestimate the power of bonding! Spend lots of time with her in whatever way she is comfortable. I like Marie’s suggestion of sitting near her while she nibbles. She may need an anchor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts