Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I switched my cat, Khepri, to raw, he took to it like a fish to water. But my foster isn't dealing so well. She'll eat a few bites, and I think she likes the taste, but the problem that I'm seeing is that she licks her food, and doesn't understand how to actually bite it. Which I don't understand since she was kibble fed, and you can't lick kibble... She was letting me hand feed her some, but even with that, she isn't really eating enough. I tried heating it up, slightly cooking it, sprinkling it with Forta Flora, blending it with water to make it more the texture of canned cat food, no real improvement. She's not completely turning her nose up, she'll eat a few bites on her own, eat a bit out of my hand, but she's not eating enough. Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Jessyca,
Is this kitty Beazle, the hefty kitty with the weight issue? If so, any idea with her age? The older a kitty is, the more resistant they will be!
You didn't mention if you transitioned her slowly with canned food, though. Does she eat canned food, especially those textured ones well?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's Beezle. She's 10 years old, so maybe I'm just expecting too much, lol. She eats canned food just fine (both the pate and the sliced types) so I figured raw wouldn't be all that different. I started her with ground, then pureed it, then the blender. Right now I'm just worried about Hepatic Lipidosis, so I'm actually going to put raw off for a few weeks and see if she'll eat kibble tomorrow. If she refuses kibble too, then she'll be going to the vet...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I used to put in some of my cat's wet canned food and mixed a tiny bit of raw, increasing the raw while decreasing the canned stuff for a while. Then I added in tiny shredded bits of meat like Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau (all shredded chicken with a bit of broth) and used that as a topper. I have kittens, though, so the transition wasn't nearly as bad. And, they both love that Tiki Cat chicken, it's their "jackpot food". You could do the same by boiling a bit of chicken without spices and see if that helps, too, and use the unseasoned broth used to boil it to add a spoonful on top of her food instead of plain water. I think the main thing is you haven't really found that "jackpot" food that Beazle goes absolutely nuts over (besides kibble). And for her, as a senior, a very, very slow transition may be needed to go fully raw.

Would it be so bad if she just ate canned food though? If she is a foster, her new owner may not like the idea of feeding raw to their pets anyway. Canned seems much more acceptable to most folks, especially if you teach them how kibble has many negative effects for them in their health.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well if she likes kibble & you don't mind the cost, you can try giving her Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Kibble bites. They're raw but shaped into kibbles.

I agree with TabbCatt tho. If she's a foster, it might be better to have her on wet. Transitioning from wet to raw is much easier if her new owners do decide on raw.

The licking part is normal. She's figuring out what to do with it. Likes the taste, wants to eat it but is unsure of how as she's used to kibble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts