Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten is 8 mos. old, male, neutered, sole cat in household. I've never had a cat before and need some advice. Have had him since he was 2 mos. old.

1) He won't drink from a bowl of water. He dips his paws in it, daps the floor, and repeats until bowl is empty. Needless to say, I'm less than happy about having to clean up water every day. I've tried just putting an inch of water in the bowl, he still does it. Started doing it 3 weeks ago.

2) Every night, he jumps up on the kitchen table and all of the counters and knocks everything over. I've caught him doing this, tried throwing water on him, spanking him, etc. Now he only does it at night and when I'm out of the room. I've thought about just shutting him up in the half bath (the room with his litterbox) all night, but hate to have him confined to such a small room. Also hate having to clean the counters daily, not to mention the broken things.

3) 6 weeks ago, tried to toilet train him. He pretty much had the hang of it until about 3 weeks ago (same time he started being all crazy with his water dish). Suddenly, he stopped using the toilet (which still had a bowl full of litter in it - not that different from the litter box) and started going all over the house. I immediately gave him the litter box again. But now - sometimes he uses it, sometimes he doesn't. He was fine before!

I've never had a cat before and maybe these things are normal, but I'm spending an awful lot of time stressing out/cleaning up after him. I hate to keep him confined but not sure what to do. Please help!!! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
1. I don't really see anything wrong with that, Ive seen cats do that.

2. There isn't much you can do to stop a cat from getting on the counter unless you buy something help - other people can suggest this.

3. When there is a change in bathroom pattern, it can be a UTI or some other sort of infection. Take kitty to the vet ASAP. OR it could be that your cat doesn't like the litter or has a lack of privacy.

NEVER EVER strike an animal. EVER. That is associated with abuse and it doesn't teach kitty anything but fear. You could get a water gun, or a can with coins in it. Anything to scare him, but keep your hands to yourself.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I agree with Aonir. Toilet training is quite a feat for any animal. Perhaps he's stressed or has a UTI. You might want to put double stick tape on the counters and combine that with the word "NO" or the can of coins as Aonir suggested. Your cat is quite smart. I love dogs, but can't imagine having one use the commode, and I'm sure if they could jump on the counters they would.

I have raised four children, collies ( one or two litters a year), birds, and aquarium fish. Of all the above, cats are the easiest and most self sufficient by far. They're just more agile. You outweigh your cat by 110 pounds, I'm guessing. Would you slap a new born baby? I know you wouldn't, of course! That's the size difference. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, just have you imagine what giants we must look like to small animals like cats.

Right now you don't have a cat; you have a kitten who is still learning. Love and consistency work best when training an animal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right, I think I have been stressing him out. I've been very patient with him today and he's already less flighty and not spilling the water so much. :D Just hard to learn what to do with no example...I've always had dogs.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Julia, It's not all you! Kittens are funny, but they can be little monsters until they learn how to be a graceful cat. The counters could remain a problem, but don't give up! Use the tape! You'll be an kitty expert in no time. Enjoy his rambunctiousness while he's still young. You'll miss it when he matures, and be getting another kitten! :lol: It's amazing that you and your kitten have come this far with toilet training, so you KNOW you're doing something right. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use and keep a few spray water bottles around in order to train my "kids" from doing things that I do not want them doing. Of all of the methods of training a cat, a spray bottle seems to work the best. Some require some strong squirts, while others obey with a light sprinkling of water. It depends on the personality of the cat. Tiger, my lynx-point Siamese, runs away whenever I simply pick up a spray bottle. It is not necessary to use it.

.........wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts